Anyone Have Input on Coralife 4-Stage RO/DI Unit?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by fish_enthusiast, Aug 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fish_enthusiast

fish_enthusiast Plankton

I was thinking about getting this coralife RO/DI unit because i'm kind of on a budget and need the DI canister so I found this and wanted to know if this is a pretty good unit. I was going to simply run a Spectra-Pure RO unit, but wanted to go further with DI. Any input would be appreciated, thanks. Oh, also, if you use a BulkReefSupply Ro unit could you tell me how it works for you?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dont use either sorry fish enthusiast

bumping this for you

Steve

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I had one, and it was okay. I replaced it a couple of years ago because it was leaking with one of the 4 satge units from Air, Water and Ice, and I am happy I did. The service from AWI is top notch, and they included a free TDS meter with the order. I would suggest going with AWI. They are a 3reef sponsor and you can link to them from this site.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I have a coralife RO/DI unit, 50gpd. I would not buy it again. It works well but there are some little details that I don't like about it. I don't like the hose connectors they use and how the whole system is setup, they use a ton of unnecessary flow restrictors and have a non-standard input hose, at least the one I bought did. I replaced a bunch of fittings on it and got a standard 1/4" input hose and have added a dual TDS meter and will probably upgrade my membrane to a 75gpd membrane when winter hits.

If I had to do it over again I would go with a BRS 75gpd unit. I would have saved some money and hassle by buying that in the beginning, unfortunately I wasn't aware of BRS when I started.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The Coralife units are very low end imports and receive lots of complaints on all the forums. Their quality control is horrible and they seem to leak everywhere and produce only so-so water quality.

Don't concern youself with "Stages", some vendors use that word like it really means something. Pay attention to the quality of filters it contains not quantity. you want a single prefilter in the 1 micron or less range, a single 0.6 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, a good name brand RO membrane like the Dow Filmtec 75 GPD and a single vertical full size canister type refillable DI. You don't want or need multiple carbons which plug or foul and you don't want little horizontal DI tubes that only hold 6-9 oz of resin unlike the 20 oz vertical.

Take a look at systems like the 75 GPD premium from Buckeye Field Supply, the 75 GPD Optima series from PurelyH2o, the Reefkeeper from Melevs Reef, the Typhoon or Typhoon III from Air Water & Ice, or the Bulk Reef units you already mentioned. I think the Buckeye Premium beats them all as far as features and price at $169 complete.

For those of you wanting to upgrade of add replacement filters and membranes take a look here:
    http://www.spectrapure.com/St_RC_Appreciation.htm

You can't beat a Spectrapure membrane for $35.

7. fish_enthusiast

fish_enthusiast Plankton

Cool, thanks for the input guys, i'm thinking about going with the Buckeye.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Russ at Buckeye is a great guy and very knowledgable, he has been doing this a long time and takes care of his customers well. Give him a call or email and explain what you are wanting and let him suggest something to you, he won't steer you wrong or sell you something you don't need.