Anyone have a sun coral??

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by QTYPIE424, Nov 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have had this sun coral for sometime now and it is very time consuming to feed. I have only been feeding it krill and I think maybe it is getting tired of the same thing, I know I would. The next morning after I feed him i find alot of the food is still in the tank which is becoming a hassel cuz then I have to fish it out. If anyone has one what do you feed yours and how does it appear to you? I have seen pics of others and they seem to be swollen and blossomed really nice but mine is not like that.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If its doing fine on the Krill then just keep feeding it that Mine was fed Live brine and rotifiers until I was unable to maintain its feeding .. But never try to apply Human thoughts to a animal forum. They don't eat for taste and don't eat because they are hungry they eat what they can when they can because in the wild all animals will often times go days if not week between feeding.. It has no way to taste and even if it did It's just eating to live not for pleasure.. So if what you have been doing is working don't change anything until you see a problem.

4. QTYPIE424

lol...thats just it Im not sure that it is fine since this is the first I have ever had. Just doesnt seem to be blossomed like the pics I have seen of others. I just got done feedin it and had no problems. Not sure you can see the pic of it in my profile. But check it out.
    Q

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Are you looking at/feeding the coral when the lights in the aquarium are on or off?

6. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I used to use cyclopeeze(dont check spellin!) to get them to open, and then feed them mysis shrimp with a big syringe. They were beutiful!! Really big!

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I really can't tell from the photo but if you want just hatch up some brinshrimps and make a feeding ring with a old 2 liter drink bottle and cut the bottom out and set it over the coral and squirt some brineshrinmp into the top they will swim and the coral will do the rest. Mine loved Live Brine shrimp and did very well I got away from target feeding it and learned how to move the water in the proper direction so that it caught its own food once it was well established. But I lost them when I was unable to ensure they where feeding well enough and was unable to make them the proper food.

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What I used to do and will again when this larger tank is fully cycled is to add tow opposing power heads in the sump and I time them to come on at night and run for about 3 hrs that way I get all the marine snow I want for free and keeps the sumps cleaner. Corals Love the feedings. I just hand stir this little 10 gal sump several times a week. Oh a nice Artical/write up also. a talent I've never aquired myself :)

11. QTYPIE424

Tangster that sounds like a plan with the 2 liter bottle I will try that sure beats target feeding. Amcarrig, this sun coral is nocturnal so feeding goes on with lights off. I also planned on getting some mysis shrimp to try..thanks guys!!
    Q

12. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm a newbie, but I picked up a sun coarl to try .
    I've been turning off my filter and power head while I feed B-shrimp/marine snow with a syringe enough to get them to close up to make sure they get enough food.
    My SC opens up with or without the lights being on I have noticed that they seem to open up more after I start to feed my fish.
    [I only have a cheap fluorescent strip light -don't laugh!! I'm saving up!!] so that might make a diff.
    They open up though out the day and are growing fine .I'm going to stay with what seems to be working until I hear better.
    They are worth the time if you have it!!
    These other guys knows what it takes to fix ya-up , good luck!