Anyone every try tanning bed light bulbs?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Scott Harmon, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scott Harmon

Scott Harmon Plankton

I know I will probably get FLAMED for this, but I can not find any info on the web about the subject.

I have a new 200gal tank I am building into a wall, currently have a 75g bow front (it is 10 years old) and full of live rock, had a bad storm this summer lost power for 8 days lost my coral and most of my fish. Tank/sump setup needs to be retired, and start again. I had good luck propagating tonga (not sue what kind looked like brown broccoli grew like crazy).

I have 2-250w MH and a power compact I can use on the new tank, but was thinking about tanning bed lights (have a source that would give me used bulbs).

I can just hear the replies, I will have tan fish, a sun-burnt tang ect...

Maybe there are not designed to run for an extended time, maybe they emit to much UV (would the used bulbs still emit the strong UV?), anyone with any positive comments?

Also, how can you measure the light wave spectrum (is there a measurement tool that is cost effective?)

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

why would you want to? this is not a cheap hobby, and lights are no place to skimp. if money is a problem, maybe go with a smaller tank.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Don't know much about this but from what I know used bulbs will be used up. Most people replace there bulbs after 6 month to a year. Don't know about taning bulbs. most likly run too hot or not right color temp.

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Do UV bulbs need to be a specific temp? Those tanning bed bulbs are all UV-A light, which in theory should stimulate some activity - If i'm not mistaken - bout time i get to dig out the old bio textbooks from first year U... I'll do some reading and hopefully get back to you soon.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Tanning bed bulbs are big cheap (relatively) UV bulbs. They won't work as aquarium lights.

There is a device though, called a spectrometer. You can get a good one for about $30. EDIT: looks like pgreef beat me to the punch. :)

8. Click Here!

9. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think you are on to something with the UV output being too high, but have nothing to back myself.

10. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I got it - UV would be too much. Found this article and it is known that tanning bed light output more UV-A than the sun.

UV-A and coral growth