anyone ever used melafix?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Scubagator87, Aug 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

I read about this melafix stuff online. It's supposed to be reef safe and says that its used to treat corals as well as fish and is safe for use in a tank with anemones. Does that mean it's safe if I have a shrimp?

Other places online said it worked great and treats things like pop eye, fin rot, and some fungi.

What is your experience with it? Has anyone ever used it with a shrimp in the tank? Just wondering; sounds like a great product.

I think my jawfish may be getting fin rot (not really sure) and its going to be hard as hell to net him and put him in a q tank if thats the case.:p

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i believe there are a few different kinds of Melafix, which one did you get?, i used one of them a long time ago, i lost a few sps's and my pepp/cleaner shrimp, and i dosed under the reccomended amount, but i may have just been unlucky...

4. Scubagator87

i got the API brand; Melafix Marine: Antibacterial fish & coral remedy

5. Scubagator87

the bottle doesn't say anything about shrimp which is why i was wondering; they give a website on the bottle so i'll see if it says anything there

6. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

i used it on my tank but only used half the recomended dose it works good. But i think less of it is better. If you use it on you display tank u have to turn off your skimmer or it will make the water foam up and take all the carbon out. I stoped using all those chemicals and did water changes and made sure all the parameters are good and let the fish fight off disease it seemed to work better than when i went crazy and tried all the meds. Good luck

7. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

o i forgot that im prity sure it wont hurt the shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

""Hello

New to this room, but seeing alot of good information. I've had a marine tank for about 4 years, and never had any problems. I added melafix to my tank on the advice of the LFS because my maroon clown had some fin problems.. Thinking my blue tang is sampling fins. Well, my corals shut up tight, and my snails (turbo) fell right off the glass. They are still alive, but since I have never added medication to my tank before, this alarmed me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!
    Ken""

This is from another person on Wisconsin Reef Society, hope its ok to post, just thought you might like to see it for yourself, i am not the only one....

1 person likes this.
  10. Scubagator87

yea, interesting. im waiting to hear back from the companies website about whether it is shrimp safe, just interested to see what they'll say. If i end up adding it i'll let you know.

11. {Nano}Reefer

do you have a QT tank?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The truth is (admitted by API to Lee Birch who is very famous for his fish disease research) that they truly don't know which bacteria are affected by either Melafix nor Pimafix. They just know that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I've used it before and I've experienced the same thing....sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. However, once I've done a waterchange, the corals re-open.

1 person likes this.