Anyone ever keep fire coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Inimicus, Sep 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

I was at the LFS today passing a little time and noticed that they have four colonies of what they listed as fire coral. Looks the same as the species pics online that i've been able to find.

I got to thinking about them and recalled reading years ago that they can grow fast and do well in aquariums.

I dont have anywhere near the lighting for them at the moment but i was just wondering how they've faired for some people. I know they potentially uncomfortable to deal with (so if my fish it'll make me cry to get stung by) but other than that all i've found on them was they like medium to high light, and good current and seem to be able to tolerate a little more nutrients in the water than the normal small polyp corals.

Thanks for the info and your time in reading this.

jason

PS after i move i hope to add some lighting to the tank and try something else in their with the fish since he's not precisely the master of high speed activity :D

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They're pretty and all but if you touch them, your skin will feel like it's on fire. It will sting fish but only if they rub against it. It will also sting the hell out of any corals it comes into contact with