Anyone Ever Dunk a Kessil

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by justonwo, Aug 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I was cleaning my tank yesterday in preparation for being out of town for a week and I fell into my Kessil gooseneck and ended up dunking it in my tank.

I disassembled everything and swabbed the PCB with distiller water and isopropyl alcohol. The boards seem pretty water resistant, as they are coated with some kind of rubber sealant. I couldn't clean the cooling fins, however, as they were too narrow for even a cotton swab. I figure they are eventually going to get coated in salt anyway.

The light still works fine, though I won't get to monitor it for a week. It seems as though these units are built to be very water and salt resistant.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ugggg, glad it's still functional. You obviously choose the right interventions.

4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Well, fortunately Kessil designed a really nice board. Coating the board is probably a necessity with all the salt water around. I wasn't too worried since I've cleaned a latte out of a brand new MacBook (took 6 hours). THAT had me worried.

As long as the cooling fins don't corrode it should be ok. I would imagine the cooling fins are very corrosion resistant given that salty air is being pulled through them more or less constantly.

Still, very stressful on such a nice light. Ugh.

Corailline likes this.
  5. saltykid96

saltykid96 Plankton

I just bought 3 new A360we. Now u got me scared