anyone else get this way?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by oldfishkeeper, Dec 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

How many of y'all have gotten "burned out" on taking care of the tank? I'm in that place, and I'm trying to get out of it. How long did you actually kind of let the tank go? still caring for livestock but just not keeping it well if that makes sense. Anyway, would sure love to know I'm not alone.

2. Click Here!

3. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i am there now, i have 3 tanks plus each of my kids have gold fish tanks (2). i am going to downsize to 1 saltwater tank because it has become a part time job. my 125 gallon has moorish idol that i have had for 3 months and i have to feed it at least 4 times a day. love that fish but lots of work to keep it going.

4. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Me too, me too! Let it go.....like, bad....months, years even?

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

We all get there mindy, it will pass. Your passion is simply to great so I wouldn't sweat it. Chum-not to be harsh but this is why it's important to choose fish wisely. It's not the fact that if you can keep it alive, it's the commitment that goes with sustaining a fish as delicate and needy as a moorish idol.

chum likes this.
  6. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

We all get burnt out eventually. it's not a matter if it'll happen, it's when it'll happen. I always do new things to my tank to keep my love a flame for it and always look at new things I could possibly do to it. I guess it comes down to the type of person you are because I know some people who wouldn't even dream of taking a whole day of just cleaning a tank while I love to do it. Usually when I lose my love of it, it comes down to I've done something wrong with it and I'm not happy with it. soon as I fix it, I just can't wait to get home and look and it and examine everything. When I had apatasia horribly I wanted to tear the tank down and sell but, I thought about getting rid of them and did so. now it's like the high light of my day to see.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Well said sataly. I've been there too. My tank is having a rough patch now but I know it will bounce back and all the hard work pays off. This hobby is very rewarding, especially when you overcome an obstacle.

chum likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

buy something like a new fish or new coral

chum and DSC reef like this.
  10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

yeah, i had a rough patch several years ago. when i bounced back i vowed to keep it simple and have had an absolute joy with a softie/mixed 90 gallon. no chillers, no constant monitoring/testing/no MH...simple LED's, giant refugium, low maintenance

DSC reef and chum like this.
  11. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

lost our dog sitter 2 years ago so its been 2 years since i had a vacation. got the idol since i would be home all the time. but a break would be nice. going to break down my 66 gallon corner tank this weekend.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's a good starting point. I had to break down my 125 and I miss it everyday. The fish were simply amazing and very healthy. Having a new baby made it tough financially plus moving to a new home was just to much. I still have the tank and it's getting refreshed;)

chum and April Hope like this.