Anyone Else Get Alergic Reactions From Their Tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmmm i'll try that, it would be nice to get him to eat something else

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

definitely! nothing worse than a food that you are allergic too. pretty unlucky, it is less than 1% of the population.

anyway, with the krill, try to make sure the krill has the exoskeleton on it, it will help keep the puffers teeth ground, and that might save you some dentistry down the road.

he will eat it, they love krill. it might tone down your allergic reation to the tank too, maybe that is just a diluted reaction to the bloodworms.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahaha awesome! lol i feel pretty lucky to be in that less than 1% populaton but unlucky at the same time :lol:

ok will do, lol i'm hoping my puffer will like it if i can find some, he's so picky that he won't go after snails i used to give him ghost shrimp when he was a youngin but he ignores both of them. So one day i decided to give him crickets as that's what i have for my Toads, and he loves them! he loves to hunt them down, and they really work for his teeth

5. johnmaloney

wow! what a weird puffer, they usually love shrimp at all times....crickets? never heard of that, probably pretty good for them. I had a bio teacher that kept on and on about how eating bugs would be a good health move for most people and that is what he ate...guy was weird to say the least but he kept his student's attention. check out your LFS, I bet they have it. looks like little orange cocktail shrimp when dry.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

haha yea he used to love the ghost shrimp but it's like once he got bigger *not even that big* he couldn't see them, but he goes nuts for his crickets, i like feeding him large ones that are the same size as he his that's really cool to watch, but i have to get small size crickets for my toads so only once in a blue moon will that happen.

And cool next time i go to the lfs i'll see if they have any

7. johnmaloney

you keep toads? frogs i have heard of..but toads? what kind?

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

10. johnmaloney

oh those toads are cool. I have seen those before actually in stores and just figured they were frogs. I know a guy who goes to Columbia to catch poisonous frogs and the like. He is probably there now. When the seas get rough he heads to the jungle.

I didn't realize this was a FW (or brackish) setup..you may want to skip the krill, not sure if a FW puffer (I think I had one like that way back in my FW days...forgot its name. 8 spot or something like that'? figure 8?) would eat it, not sure would be worth a try for my own curiosity but I don't know...

All I remember is with mine is that he tried to nip the fins off my fish and back to the store he went. I had a real nice show rainbow, (well it was getting their at the time, was still small then but grew into an awesome fish), and he tried to nip him and that was it...evicted the same day.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Wow what an awesome job that guy has

And as far as the setup it/s a high brackish i'm slowly working on turning it to marine just don't have the funds but i've at least been working on raising the salinity. And you probably did have the Figure 8, they are strictly freshwater/brackish. I'll still give the krill a try, just curious if he'll eat it cause i tried frozen brine and mysis soaked in garlic and he just spat that stuff out.

lol when i originally got this guy two years ago, he was an impulse by because he was just so cute. At the time i didn't know very much about fish keeping, and i had an overstocked 20 gall freshwater community. I knew nothing about the puffer, but i just plopped him in, one day after work i found all the fish floating at the top of the tank with chunks bitten out of them. And there he was just looking so cute and just buzzing around the tank like nothing happend. I new i couldn't be mad at this little monster and just scooped out the victims and went on loving this fish. He's been living in solitary confinement ever sense, and i've gotten to be a much better fish keeper, and now know a lot about this little monster :D

12. johnmaloney

yeah it is cool, lots of hard work though, being bitten by mosquitos living in tents...it would be cool for a day, it becomes work very quickly though.

hah! they are like that though, that little monster I had would try to kill that fish and then just be wandering around right after like he didn't do anything. :) I even gave him the benefit of the doubt the first few times he tried.