Anybody use the PowerBrite LED's for shimmer?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by dixiedog, Jul 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

LEDs do give off a good shimmer. How long is your tank and were you planning on running them long ways or across the fixture?

4. dixiedog

48", and I would guess long ways?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Ya probably better that way so they wont cross your other lighting. I would use three for max shimmer but two would probably be enough.

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I am going to look into getting some of these. That is the one thing I miss, the shimmer. I didnt want MH lights so I never got the shimmer. At night I do, but it never occured to me to look into LED's for that effect. Thanks dixiedog.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I have 2 in my canopy and they don't add the shimmer you are probably thinking of, it is there, but with my Glo and Nova extreme it is only faintly noticeable. I have the Glo come on one hour later in the morn and go off one hour before the Nova in the eve and when just the Nova are on the shimmer is more noticeable. Now, when both the Nova and Glo are off and the Powerbrite are on by themselves, it is quite a psychedelic light show.
    At my LFS, they have a few strips above their largest (500 gal.) tank which are mounted maybe 3 1/2-4 feet above the tank and it is more noticeable. I would say if you are more to the blue side in your lighting you may see more of the effect you are looking for.

8. Click Here!

9. dixiedog

UncleJed, can you tell me more about your Nova and your Glo fixtures - number of bulbs, wattages, etc?

Also, what size is your tank?

10. ibefishy

Thanks for the info Unclejed, I was wondering about the amount of light they put out also.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Dog and fishie, here is the Glo;HAGEN - GLO T5 HO but I have the Slimpaq 10,000k with the Marine glo and Power Chrome Aquablue + with Power Chrome Actinic +. I have a 55 gal. I would say the tank has a mid day sun look when all the lights are on.
    here is a pic if you care to see;
    [​IMG]

12. ibefishy

Your tank looks nice and bright. Is there a noticeable difference in the brightness of the tank with and without the LEDs? If I added some LEDs would I be able to grow some sps?