Anybody have experience with Current USA Nova Extreme?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Peredhil, Aug 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks everyone so much! This was my first thread question I've posted, very happy about this. I'll put a pic when I get them. Excellent.

2. Click Here!

3. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

Yep, everyone above has already said it, so there's no need for me to say it twice. Good choice with the 4x54.

Performance driven is just a selling point... it doesn't mean anything other than Current USA thinks their lights will out-perform the competition... and they're right. Also, Tangster has good bulbs for good prices. A 50/50 (that's reef white) is a good choice because it's half actinic phosphors and half 10k phosphors. You're tank will look excellent under those. 10K is supposed to be the equivalent of sun on a partly cloudy day.

Ordering the light after your cycle is fine but be warned... you could b in for an algae bloom if you're using any other light source. Changing light output/spectrum can really screw with your tank. So when you get the fixture, start with the actinics on ONLY. Do that in regular cycles for about 2-3 weeks. It'll help keep the bad bacteria low while letting the good bacteria grow. Then fire up the whole thing keeping the photoperiod short and progressively lengthening it to a 6-8 period. Bacteria should be doing it's thing and you should have a fully cycled (light cycled too) tank ready for livestock.

4. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I don't have the lights, but I'm considering the 4x24" for my 20 gallon tank. The reviews I've read have commented on the loud fans. Does anyone with experience with this fixture (of any size) have any input on the noise factor?
    Thanks much!

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My 4x54 are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll update after I get them installed.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My lights should be in tomorrow.

I've been running 36 watts of crappy lighting for the past 5 weeks.

Guitarman mentioned ramping up on the new lights slowly for algae reasons. I'm looking for more info here.

I currently run the crappy lights 12noon - 8pm. I'm thinking I want to run the 4x54 in the same period and then run the moons 8 - 10pm.

But it sounds like I don't want to suddenly start with that timer cycle (particularly with the 10ks).

Hopefully I will get these tomorrow and can setup my timer - so I'm looking for recommendations on easing the tank into the new light setup.

My current guess is actinics for same period and then + 1 hour on the 10k each day (starting at 0 and after a week of actinics only) until they hit the desired interval. Is that a fine plan?

PS: I don't plan to swap out any of the bulbs (yet).

7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I'm no expert on light intensity, but I believe that a sudden increase in intensity can be a problem. Some folks recommend placing layers of nylon window screen between the lights and the tank and then slowly removing the layers to increase intensity.
    Enjoy the new lights...I'll be anxious to hear what you think of them...

8. Click Here!

9. noobie

noobie Astrea Snail

I'm curious about this question too.