Anybody have experience with Current USA Nova Extreme?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Peredhil, Aug 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have a 55 gal 48x13x20 currently cycling. I plan on adding easy/moderate difficultly corals (much, much later).

I am deciding on which light I want and I've narrowed my choices to these two:

48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 4x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights

48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 8x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights

My first thought is more is better, so the 8x54 would be better. But I also think 432 watts might be a bit excessive where 216 watts might be fine. Also, the 8x54 is 14inches wide and I'm worried that will get in the way of my future protein skimmer that will have to hang off the back of my 13 inch wide tank (will get the skimmer after the lights for logistical reasons).

Has anyone used either of these lights? Comments on reliability? Particularly interested to know thoughts on if the 4x54 is fine or if I need to pony up the extra moneys for the 8x54.

I'm new to this and I tried finding a thread that already covered Current USA Nova Extreme but couldn't find one.

Thanks everyone!

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I use the nova extreme 4x54 and the 2x54 on my 75 works great. Don't think you can fit the 8 bulb on a 55gal. If youhave the money get the 8 bulb or do like me and get the 4 with lunar and the 2 bulb with just the bulbs. Saves about 100.00. I think that two more bulbs would not be needed. I have clams doing very well, 21 inches under them. C heck out the fish tank page, under thread pics. My tank is there. Check the color out two, I did switch out some of the bulbs.

4. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i guess if i had the money when i got my nova i would get the 8 just incase of future upgrade. but i have the 4 bulb setup with uvl bulbs, and i have no prob keeping anything so far, even sps. someone told me that even acros will bleach at 6" from the top, so on a 55 " you will have plenty of light to do what you want. i have the 4 bulb on a 60 gal. same dimensions as the 55 but 24" deep. i can keep corals on the sand with no problem.

5. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

I have had a nova extreme 4x54 over a 75g. and it was fantastic for a few months until I wanted to upgrade my tank(which is now in the process of cycling again.) When I went to upgrade I did some research. I really wanted the 8x54 but those are almost as expensive as halides, plus they're really only good for running a few diff. spectrums which you really don't need. Light wise you won't see much of a difference between 8 or 6.

I settled with the nova extreme pro 6x54 and it delivers all the light that I could ever want. It's a sweet look and set-up. It's also about $150 more expensive and you don't get the moonlight LED's. I don't mind that because just having 4 didn't allow me to see much of anything and it wasn't affecting the livestock one way or the other.

So really I would look at the 4x54 or the 6x54 which will certainly hold you over until you jump to a 100-150 gallon. BTW my 75 is 18'' deep and the light penetrates up to 20''... that's a very useful piece of info.

EDIT: also someone said that the 8x54 might be too big for you tank. They're right. The 6x54 fits a 55 perfectly. With the 8x54 you're losing light from your 1st and last bulb over the edge, so it's a waste. AND look at the pro series... I like the look plus it'll make it easier to retrofit a halide in the future.

1 person likes this.
  6. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks to both folks for pointing out the width issue - I was really wondering about that potential overhang, glad to finally know it's true!

6x54 is totally the way I think I *should* go, but I *really, really* want integrated moon lights. Logistically, for me, integrated moons are a lot better fit than separate ones. If 6x54 had them, I would view this question as closed... since it doesn't... I feel like I'm back to the 4x54. Based on your experience with a 75g tank, I get the impression they'll rock my 55g. So that's the way I'll go. 4x54 it is.

Now that that's decided - it was mentioned using different bulbs. From what I've read on this forum, the included bulbs should do a good job for a large selection of corals. Am I correct or are we just talking aesthetics?

• Two 54 Watt SlimPaq 10K and two 54 watt 460nm Actinic Blue T5 HO fluorescent lamps
    Also, what does this mean?

• Performance driven electronic ballasts. Independent control over 10K and Actinic lamps.

I know what a ballast is, but what makes it "performance driven" and what does independent control over the two light types mean to me, the user? (I understand the moon's are independent and I understand why - for my timer - but I don't get what I'd want to independently control on the main lights)

Lastly, I'm not planning on spending this money until my cycle is complete - that's fine isn't it? No need to get them before then?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

10. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

These bulbs were recommended to me by someone with experience with these lights. They said the bulbs that come with it are OK but these are what I need. I ordered the pro fixture myself and am going to get these bulbs.UVL super actinics and UVL actinic white. When they are all on it give you a nice 14k-15k look.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have the four bulb setup over my 55, really nice fixture for a great price. I upgraded my bulbs to two actinic whites and two super actinics from tangster. I love the look, it's little more lavender than the bulbs that come with it, but everything seems to be doing great under them, i also have a clam that is doing great.

1 person likes this.
  12. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

Novas put out alot more energy than you would think, i have 48 watt novas on my 28 gallon and i keep an anemone. They're just great lights. I think the energy they put out is something like 2 or 3 fold the actual wattage. Heat has also not been a problem

1 person likes this.