Anybody have any experience with an Alevapora and Pagoda?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Bucsfan, Oct 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

I was out of town today and went into a lfs there and ending up buying an alevapora and a Walt Smith Pagoda. They were absolutely beautiful and it wasn't until I was driving them home that I realized that I knew zero about caring for these guys. I am dripping them now and would love to get some advise from you experts out there on the best way to care for them, ie placement in tank, feeding, etc.

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Pagoda is pretty easy to care for, after acclimating to your lights, middle tank is good, they don't mind some good flow either.

Alveopora can be a bit challenging though, care is similar to goniopora, though more difficult to keep long term, generally a coral I leave be. Low flow with periods of high flow is good, try to keep the water less than pristine, and feed many different types of coral foods once or twice a day to it. bottom to middle tank for these guys.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Both are fairly easy in my experience. Get some Goniopower food to feed both. Do not blast either with light initially. The Pagoda will want more light once acclimated. As with all stony corals you'll need to make sure you keep Ca/alk/magnesium in line.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with corailline, my alevopora is easy to care for. Being that we both have experience keeping them I would heed her advice and get some gonipower to feed.

6. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

I just ordered it. Thanks to you both. I'm glad I asked because everything I was reading about alevoporas led me to believe that I had just bought a coral that was near impossible to keep alive. Another reason I love this site!

7. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

BTW, both the pagoda and alevopra appear to have acclimated to my tank beautifully. They look amazing!

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Good to hear! One thing I do is put a little gonipower in the tank with the pumps going then 15 minutes later shut everything off so the water is still then spot feed my alevopora so it makes the most of the food. Also, we need some pics buddy.

Billme and Corailline like this.
  10. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Here it is. (The best I can do with an iPad)

Attached Files:

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid