Any Tips for Repacking an R.O. Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of some parts I need to get my 30 hex going. Most of which are replacement filters for my Spectrapure R.O. D.I. filter. I have to replace all of them.

I have the right plumbing tool to open up the canisters of the R.O. filter, but does anyone have any experience replacing the membrane, etc. and have any tips? I don't want to mess it up!

[smiley=worried.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Have you tryed

http://www.spectrapure.com/support_p0.htm

I have a Kent system and it's about 4months old so I haven't replaced the membrane yet Sorry. Kent's web site has a lot of good info it would prob help with the Spectrapure units too

J

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

AWESOME!
    Thanks J.
    I found it in the online manual for my model. That will be very helpful.

I sent the check last week, I can't wait to get it going!

5. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I have a 5 stage system from Aquatic Reef Systems. Cost me about 170.00 and the Customer Service is excellent.
    My System has,
    Sediment Cartridge
    Charcoal Cartridge
    RO Cartridge
    2 DI cartridges
    Also have a Flush valve which prolongs the use of the RO Membrane and a Adjustment valve to give me a 3 to 1 ratio of product water and don't forget a TDS meter.
    If you would like to know how to adjust to a 3 to 1 ratio let me know and I'll explain.
    Any questions you might have about your current system or want to add items call and Ask for John at the link below, great guy...
    http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/
    Matt,
    Your RO Membrane should last at least 2 years and is important that you have a flush valve to use before you make your product water. This will insure the longest life from your RO...
    HTH

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. Thanks CMKII, that's the kinda stuff I have to think about too. When it comes in, I'll update this thread and we can adjust it and get it going! [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

7. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Anytime Anyplace,,,
    I'll be there,,,
    Who dat Craig?????
    I love this stuff, hehe....

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

OK!

I came home from work today and the box with all the replacement filters from Spectrapure was at my door! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

I can't believe it, I really close to actually putting some water in my tanks! lol!

Anyway, I thought I'd share a little tidbit about SpectraPure. One of the reasons they are highly regarded is that they are one of the only ones that wet-test their membranes prior to shipping for quality control. 8)

In the pic below you will see some condensation in the bag along with the results of their test which they wrote on the filter!

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just to conclude, I repacked it yesterday and got it going! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Not too hard, I had the right tools.

Some plumbing tool - metal handle with a looped rubber strap - to loosen the canisters and vice grips to remove the old R.O. membrane.

Put the new filters in and ran it with the restrictor off the waste line per instructions to flush it. Then I put the restrictor back in.

Nice to have R.O. again! :)

11. visualscapes

visualscapes Plankton

Thats cool Matt, I'll have to remember this thread when I change out my Spectrapure filters.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No problem! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]