Any OTHER hobby

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by lillys Grandad, Sep 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i build guitars when i get some free time away from my tanks and work.
    here is one that is in the works now....
    this one is made of californian walnut and birdseye maple...The fingerboard is gonna be made of wenge. Its a 5 piece thruneck hollow body. This will be my first thruneck hollow body that i have made...
    Neck blanks cut, joined and glued...Soundboard bookmatched and started to thickness plan it down. Left it on the thick side cause i may carve the top if i am feeling ambitious.
    [​IMG]

Drew up a body design....It has a les claypool look (at least i think so)
    [​IMG]

Here is my rock guitar...I love this thing!!i basically took everything i love about fenders, les pauls, and PRS then threw it in a blender and got this thing. It has a les paul scale length with a fender sized wide neck, my own interpretation of a fender body mixed with a prs. To make it more rock star i made a ibanez style headstock with a hipshot on the low E so you can drop D with the flick of your thumb. Just for "ha ha's" i put a cello style tailpiece on it just so people will look at it and scratch their heads :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i guess ill share one more... This is a full hollowbody thinline archtop. Ill spare you all the details cause i can go on forever about the little things i did to this guitar to make it special. This is that guitar that is the work in progress that i will never be finished with. I almost dont wanna finish it cause if it sounds like crap ill be way to upset plus i enjoy working on it way to much to ever complete it hahah!
    here is an early stage pic of it....basically it is all glued together...now let the shaping begin!
    [​IMG]

body taking some shape.
    [​IMG]

shaped up the neck and carved the heel...I actually took a mold of my hand and tried to carve the heel/neck pocket to fit exactly the the curvature of my palm...It feels niiiiiiiccee!!!
    [​IMG]

here she is pretty much shaped up...started to build the pickup rings, and tailpiece. I still need to build the bridge but i used the one in that photo just to get a rough idea of where the pickup holes, F-holes, and tailpiece will need to be placed.
    [​IMG]

Glued the last pieces of the headstock on and started to cut out and shape it.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

That Guy you ever build them to sell? I cant play to save my life but I used to collect thinking about getting back into it. Had several really nice old Les Pauls and some old Fenders

My hobbies outside reef keeping, I'm an avid shooter and fisherman, I fish more than anything but I try to get to the rifle range as much as I can I'll put pics of my rifle up sometime :)

Ok, already late for work so here's some pics the flower doesnt really go with but my wife grows rose bushes was a pic I got playing around with the camera a few days ago and just turned out really good, something for the ladies and the guys here :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

very nice looking bulldog

5. That Guy

I dont build them with the intention to sell but i have sold a few to pay for other hobbies haha! The average standard guitar that i make will take 200-250 hours and parts will cost me about 300-400 depending on which woods i am using and i always end up breaking some blade or bit in the process so tack on a few more $$ for replacements.. So when all is said and done...even if i sell a guitar for $2000+ i still dont make any money (which is why it is just a hobby hahah)

6. M&T

M&T Astrea Snail

Thank you!:)

7. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

That 3 reefers that pack an ar15 mine is a bushmaster xm15s I wonder how many more do

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. MaMoL

MaMoL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Beautiful dogs you have there. My next dog might just be an American bulldog, I love them. We have a lab and a frenchie now...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. That Guy

this guy is packing heat!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

lol, i know that gun all to well

12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Been collecting serious for about 15 years...I've sold 10 times that many...just keep the rare and or odd...or cool.
    Thanx,
    Boy this thread took off...from sex toys to assault weapons...and everything in between !!
    Gotta love a "reefer" ;D would that be "Reefer MADNESS" ? LOL!

LG