Any local stand builders?

Discussion in 'RARS' started by civsi44, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civsi44

civsi44 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Can anyone recommend anyone in the area that can build a good stand and possible a canopy? If not anywhere I could buy one? I'm looking for something along the lines of 60-61 x 24. I would rather not go the route of building my own knowing my handyman skills.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Where are you located?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

what is the area lol?
    the earth in that case i could probably find a few.

btw making a stand isn't as hard as you think. the easiest way would be build a 2x4 skeleton then clad it with plywood. for my tank, me and my dad did something a little odd we made it so the aquarium rest on the edge of the ply wood so theres no skeleton, its held up for 7 years so we must have done something right

5. civsi44

civsi44 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sorry I keep forgetting that everyone can see the post on the main page. I posted this in the Reno (RARS) forum. I am in Nevada, I am concerned its is 150g and I'm just worried about the weight especially putting that much on something that I built from scratch.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the lfs near me has 6 40g on a display mad of 2x4s, i think if his rickety construction held together most will be fine(didn't even stain it lol). I your really worried use 4x4s for the legs.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I think anything you make should be fine, as sostoudt said, if you are really worried, just beef it up with some 2x6 instead of 2x4s. If you are smart about it, as in don't have your supports being held up by just screws and nails, you should be fine. If you don't have the tools, look for a local carpenter to build a stand for you. You can give him the specifications and let him do it. If you resort to that, you may just want to buy one because that will probably cost as much, if not more than a premade one.

8. Click Here!

9. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

Finding even a pre-made stand is not that easy here. I was looking around a bit for one for my 200.
    Carpet starts tomorrow after that a fence then a roof. Then I hope to find a cabinet maker to do a cab and top for me.

10. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

Cmon go DIY wayy more fun. lol

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I am making mine for my 200. It's the first one I have built, so I will let you know how it comes out ;)
    Its really not that hard to do though. You would be surprised at how strong wood is. Mine will have 12-14 2X6's for the main vertical support, which is probably complete overkill.
    But the key is getting the vertical supports cut just dead balls even. If they are even just a teeny bit off, it will screw the entire build up.