Any ideas on how to protect an anemone from a powerhead

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mabbus, Oct 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

I have a large BTA, this morning I came down to find he had decided to move to the other side of my tank and have a fight with my powerhead.

He looks a little sorry for him self, but the damaged doesn't look major, so I think he is ok, if not a little pissed off. He showed me that when I tired to move him without gloves, he wasn't very happy.

He seems to be ok, but he keeps insisting on going for a walk. If before I go to bed he is near a pump, I switch it off overnight, and he is normally in the same area. Burt last night he decided to move out of town.

Anyway I have two Koralia powerheads and was wondering if anybody had any ingenuous ideas on how to stop an anemone poking about inside. Any ideas for custom made protective sleeves

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You can sometimes keep them on the rocks by arranging the rocks so that there is no way to go from rocks to glass without going over sand. Typically they won't walk over sand. Also, keeping an ideal environment, where they don't feel the need to wander. BTAs move though, that's why a lot of people don't consider them ideal reef inhabitants...

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

maybe make a box around it with eggcrate maybe?

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

My power heads are as high as possible in my tank ( some looking down, some looking up). Also, my aquascape is shaped in a way that there isn't any rocks near the power head. There is no amount of moving my anemones can do to get near enough to get hurt.

6. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Thanks for the suggestions. I was changing my phosphate, as I put the media in the reactor, I looked at the media bag, that's when it hit me. I had a couple from other media, so I slipped one over each power head, tightened the drawstring and hey presto.

The BTA now sits right next to one of the power heads, and it's tentacles are touching the mesh bag, but because the mesh is so small, it can't get into the power head.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

there are sponges you can slip over a power head.

8. Click Here!

9. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

10. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

very nice i was going to suggest using nylon stockings,i have 2 anemones and luckily ive had no problems like this yet..

11. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Your best bet is to wrap the PH in some sort of mesh or covering that doesn't limit its intake.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

If you pick up some nylons you can just make a powerhead sock. It will keep the anemone without impeding flow.