Any ideas for a GOOD looking frag tank?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ReefDaily, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

...not that frags under some halides or par38s isn't sexy or anything. But sometimes egg crate racks/plugs/etc can get ugly.

I am in the process of setting up 40 gallon breeder frag tank in my bedroom. I cannot have it looking like a science project. I am trying to figure out a way to make space for plenty of different kinds of frags, at 3 different heights (for low light corals all the way up).

I have my own reef maintenance company and I am able to frag overgrown corals in customers tanks. I would also like to use this as a place to hold a few pieces, maybe letting them grow out more so they can be sold for a slightly higher cost. I need to be able to house everything from zoas and soft corals to sps and clams.

Here are some ideas I have had, maybe you can comment on them or even throw in your own.

Option 1:
    In the current issue of Reef Hobbyist magazine, there is an article on acrylic frag racks. It's an option, as it's clear and I could house soft corals under the racks- but not as efficient as I'd like. I want some rack space for softies, and also maybe even for live rock with corals on them. I think the acrylic would scratch up if I were placing rocks on it.

Option 2:
    Build a normal reef with about 20lbs of live rock. Plenty of sand space for zoas, rics, etc. I could use the rock for softies and sps and slowly build a reef tank with extra frags... and I could use magnetic frag racks for propagation.

Option 3:
    I would like to see this one done before I attempt it. I would be nice, but seems like alot of work.

Its kind of hard to explain in words- but build egg crate racks that would extend from the left side of the aquariums wall. The first one would be the highest, and they would stagger down to the mid level rack, and then a low level rack. Cage the racks in so that they can be made into a rock wall type structure.. zipties, rock, and foam. Leave the tops exposed so the egg crate can still be used as a rack- but it wouldn't really look like a frag rack, it would look like a reef.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Why not use this kind of fragging stations instead of live rocks. [​IMG]

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I understand what you are trying to accomplish and i have seen some good frag tanks that look like regular tanks. But first, do you already have a tank that you will be using? My LFS has a few tanks that have alot of LR and just have holes drilled in the rock that hold the frag plugs and the tank still looks rly nice. Im not sure of another way to keep your tank form looking like a "sci experiment" as you would need to use egg crates. maybe have the egg crates suspended by LR in a way where you use 4 pcs of LR as legs for the table top (egg crate)?

I had trouble picturing your 3rd option. sry.

maybe someone who is a good at aquascaping will chime in.
    GL

5. Bill109

Bill109 Plankton

6. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

My third option is very hard to put into words, and I don't draw very well. I drew it out for myself but I wouldn't scan it- its embarrassing.

I actually like that also.. Thanks for posting that, I'm really liking it.

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

The third options isnt a good one, its too hard to get under the racks and difficult to clean the glass, check out my posting for my frag tank, its just a thought!

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

There are pre made rocks that look pretty natural and contain many spots for plugs, that would also allow you to have open areas for soft corals and corals that go in the sand.