Any gun knowledgable people on here?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Jim522, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chad

Chad Astrea Snail

I just purchased a Taurus PT1911AR and I'm surprisingly impressed with it. I know taurus had a bad rap for quite a few years, but this gun is awesome. Trigger is nice and crisp, comes with all kinds of extras. So far so good....I have about 1000 rounds thru it with no FTF's or anything. Maybe a little big for ccw tho.

[​IMG]

I live in the communist state of NJ so CCW is absolutely NOT an option here. It sucks.

2. Click Here!

3. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Chad... My wife's family lives in NJ and we went up there to visit last winter. I live here in Florida where guns are encouraged :) I am used to walking into ****'s sporting goods and 15 minutes later walking out with a gun. I went to ****'s up there and this poor guy spent over an hour at the gun counter and he still had to come back the next day with all kinds of paper work and licensing crap. I was astonished. I don't think I could live there. Guns and I have a symbiotic relationship. If one disappears, the other is sad.

4. Chad

Chad Astrea Snail

Dan, I have never lived in a "free" state so I have nothing to compare NJ to. But it is VERY difficult to get the initial paperwork and check out of the way. I have been collecting firearms for the last 10+ years so I'm fairly used to the procedure now. My wife recently got her firearms ID card...her father is a police chief and avid hunter so she grew up around guns and loves them. If you come prepared to a gun store and have all your licenses / paperwork, then it is somewhat of a painless process, you can be in and out in 15 mins. If you have nothing, the procedure can take months. I personally have no problem with it, making sure that people who are interested in purchasing firearms are not criminals, etc. BUT, criminals still get guns, whether in NJ, CA, VA, FL or MO it doesn't matter.

I have my Utah & FL CCW, so I am able to carry in many states (other than NJ of course) so when I travel to PA I bring either my Glock 27 .40 or my XD40...sometimes other guns, I have quite a few sub-compacts to choose from :).

Is your wife's family into firearms? If so, here is a GREAT forum designated for NJ firearms ownership...my name is "Chad" on there as well. If they have any questions, feel free to drop me a line :)

NJ Gun Forums.com - Index page

5. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Actually her family is pretty green when it comes to firearms. We all went to mexico a few months ago and her step-dad shot a gun for the first time (granted it was a pellet rifle). My wife loves guns now that she is with me. We just got married about 9 months ago and she told me that the next gun I buy has to be for her ha ha ha.

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

they make 1911's for carry, that taurus might be a bit tough since it has so many snag points on it but if you really like 1911's there are tons to choose from, best friend has a kimber 1911 that is designed for a ccw carry, they basically lose all the snag points and lighten the frame a bit

7. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Kimber Ultra Carry II's are awesome, although I will admit I'm not the biggest 1911 fan. I've been considering that my next purchase. All stainless with the walnut stocks and nightsights. I shot my buddy's at the range the other day and was very impressed. They're much lighter than I thought too, but for a .45ACP very forgiving. And a little less bulky than my SigPro .40SW or XD9 than I'm used to carrying everyday.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Just keep in mind with Kimbers, include a day at the range with 500 rounds and a bottle of CLP in the purchase cost cause that is what the break in is

10. Jim522

Well I'm bouncing back in forth between the Kimber UCII, Kahr K40, or XD40SC. Wish I had the funds to get all three :(.

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I shot the XD40sc, try and find a range that has one you can rent and make sure it is comfortble to you firing before you spend $ on it, I was dead set on it before I got my PPS after shooting it I found it really didn't fit my hands well, however I had a full size XD 45 service and loved it, one of the best sub $500 handguns you can get imo
    best 45 I've ever fired is hands down the H&K USP45C, can't buy it anymore but the replacement is probably a better gun, the HK45C

12. Jim522

I have a full size XD9 which I love. The SC feels great in my hand, but I haven't fired one yet. I think i would be more happy with the Kahr "K" series. A little less bulky, but quite a bit more money.
    I've looked at the PPS and P99, how happy are you with the PPS?