Any gun knowledgable people on here?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Jim522, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I agree, a .40 SW is far more than adequate for this. Now a .25 auto, well, that is why you unload with those;)

2. Click Here!

3. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I tell a friend of mine all the time that her little single shot .22 will just piss someone off if she shoots them. I guess in the dark, if you don't hit them they might scare off... but not a chance I'd take.

4. stud_man50

stud_man50 Flamingo Tongue

ya, even for us in the military, we got rid of the 9mm just because it wouldnt stop anyone that was on "something" finally we atleast got a .40cal even though it is a SIG:( I couldnt amagine shooting anything bigger than a rabbit with a .22 to be effective.

5. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

IME it's not always how big the bullet, but where you put it. A well placed shot, even with a small bullet can do some serious damage. I've popped a 250lb pig in the ear cavity with a .22 mag. Fell to the ground and didn't even kick. Done....
    On the other hand, I've made perfect broadside heart shots at 150lb deer with my .270 or 30-06 w/ ballistic tips that puts a softball sized hole out the other side and seen them run off 50 yards before falling down.
    As far as self sefense goes, if I HAD to shoot somebody, yea I keep my .45 closest to me at all times.

Not a fan of Sigs, stud_man?

6. stud_man50

stud_man50 Flamingo Tongue

I'm an armorer for the CG and we switched to the sig a couple yrs ago and I've seen a lot of problems, and then sig kinda sayin oh well... I'm a Springfield fan.

7. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Good to know, I haven't myself heard of too many problems. Yea Springfields are awesome. I just ordered an XD9 on Thursday. And put a deposit down on a Sig SP2022. And a Walther P-22. Can't wait to pick them all up and head to the range..;D

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i agree, it's not the size of the round that matters. like business, it's location location location.

the bigger the round the less chances you get to hit a moving target in a spot that will stop the back and forth. I'd rather the capacity of my 9 (15+1) over a 7 stack 45 any day of the week. Sure I can put a triple tap the size of my palm at 20 yards on a standing target, but that's not the same as an adrenaline rushed situation with a moving target that's shooting back.

And if I'm carrying an extra mag, that's 30 +1 compared to 14+1. Pick your odds right? ;)

in a lot of real world situations, out gunned = ammunition supplies, not necessarily a bigger caliber.

(of course there are different capacitys out there... I'm making a general statement).

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I only own walther and springfield products at the moment, nice to see another fan, love my xd 45 :) but my ccw is the walther pps .40 just cause it fits my frame alot better and it hides in my work required slacks/polo much better

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Haha, love it. I am way more confident harvesting a deer with my bow at 30 yards versus my shotgun at 90!

That is quite possibly the craziest thing I have heard! Here in Indiana, we can carry open or concealed. Got my lifetime last year, and now I am looking to buy my first handgun (got a 12 guage and .22 LR now). Any suggestions? I am torn, things I am looking at are a .40, .45, .357 or a Judge. Probably not the judge though because I want to CC. Any suggestions? At first I wanted a multi-purpose gun, but now realize there is no such thing with a handgun! Hunting guns are too big to carry, carry guns are too small to legally hunt with. So I am choosing a carry gun for now. Any input will be great! Trying to spend under $600. Most people say a Taurus is the best bang for the buck?!?! Let's hear your input everyone!

12. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently purchased the Glock 17. I love it. I leaned toward the Glock because many of my LE buddies praised dependability. Drop it in the mud... No Problem. The Glock 17 is a bit bulky for concealment but a nice accurate gun IMHO. My brother bought the Glock 36 (Sub Compact .45). He carries that with him everywhere and granted it is very small but it only hold like 4 rounds.