ANY GAC for RO Drinking water filtration?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by XeoNoX, Dec 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Astrea Snail

Is ANY Activated Carbon good to use as a refill in a refillable reverse osmosis cartridge for use in a reverse osmosis system? i know coconut activated carbon is preferred but can other ones work in a RO system such as bituminous coal-based activated carbon?

i was thinking of using bituminous coal-based Marineland Premium Black Diamond Activated Carbon, is it safe for drinking water filtration?

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Unless the carbon has a label showing it is NSF approved for drinking water I would not use it.

4. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Astrea Snail

thanks, i wonder what the dangers are of using it if its not approved? GAC is GAC right? iknow they have different ways of making it but in the end doesnt it do the same thing?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

When I worked in a water treatment plant we used to sell our exhausted GAC to companies that would regenerate it for other uses. The market is flooded with carbon like this and I would avoid it. We were very strict about buying only virgin carbon and I am the same about my reef carbons. Only buy from a trusted source and know what you are getting

Reeflections and DSC reef like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

AZ, do you have any recommendations on a reliable company/source? Thanks for the info, I never knew that.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I buy most of my media and chemicals from BRS.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thank you, good to know.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I thought he was going to say spectrapure.

HOw about the replacement cartridges AZ? BRS or
    spectrpure?

DSC reef likes this.
  11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

For RO replacement cartridges I only buy Spectrapure. I do not use any GAC products except in the sump since in an RO GAC has a useful life of about 300 gallons best case. That is only 60 treated gallons and 240 waste gallons at the normal 4:1 waste ratio. A 1 micron carbon block lasts 12,000 gallons and a 0.5 or 0.6 micron lasts 20,000 gallons making GAC a really poor choice.

12. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Astrea Snail

thanks for this info. i never knew that and it makes sense now, guess i will be going with a carbon block from now on. thanks again for the info, so helpful.