Any Electricians here???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Chris Jones, May 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey Marty! Glad to see an electrician around here! Lots of questions come up ;D

P.S. Could you possibly type in lower case....it's just internet etiquette....All capital letters indicate that you are yelling...and I know you are not but.....THANKS!! ;) ;D

2. Click Here!

3. martyinalaska

martyinalaska Astrea Snail

sorry, didn't know that... i will type in lower case, unless i am yelling...
    i have been an electrician for over 11 yrs, so hopefully i can contribute to the site as well. don't be shy or think you're bugging me to ask questions.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=martyinalaska link=board=lighting;num=1084752827;start=15#29 date=08/10/04 at 19:02:50]I CAN TAKE A LOOK AT IT TOO IF YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT YET, LET ME KNOW. YOU CAN EMAIL ME THE SCHEMATIC. [/quote]

Marty,

The relay is a DPDT type, I have sent Gresh a crappy wiring diagram already which I hope he can understand LOL

John

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Marty suggested using a rib relay, it sounded quit interesting. I have 4 of those DPDT's, so I'm gonna use them for now, but I'd like to check into the rib relay furthor. It sounds like a great product/project for DIY reefers.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=lighting;num=1084752827;start=30#33 date=08/11/04 at 00:55:40]Marty suggested using a rib relay, it sounded quit interesting.  I have 4 of those DPDT's, so I'm gonna use them for now, but I'd like to check into the rib relay furthor.  It sounds like a great product/project for DIY reefers.[/quote]

OK, Which type of RIB relay was suggested? I would love to have a look :)

Another thought Gresh is, you can always use the relays you have to trigger other relays with a timer inbetween, sort of a logic device :) I did a lot of this sort of stuff when an apprentice and it is a bit of fun to pay around with, as long as you are careful of course :)

John

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hmmm, explain this logic device further to me. What would it do for me, offer another fail safe or something?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=lighting;num=1084752827;start=30#35 date=08/11/04 at 01:33:26]Hmmm, explain this logic device further to me.  What would it do for me, offer another fail safe or something?[/quote]

With the diagram I sent you and in the correspondence the exaple used was for Main and Fug lighting. When the timer actuated the mainlighting came on and the fug lighting turned off, by means of the relay switching.

So what we had was a decision made soley by the timer. If you used another relay in the circuit you could wire that relay to create an ' and/or' decision.

eg:
    The timer actuates as normal but will only swith the first relay and therefore switch the lights if another condition exists or does not exist. Lets say you lived in a very hot climate, you could link the second relay to a thermostat so that it opened if the teperature got above a certain limit, which would automatically turn off your MH lighting. Another timer could be then introduced to make sure that the MH wasn't switched back on for say 30 minutes in case of temperature cycling.

Make any sense?

John

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Sure does, crystal clear. Thanks John! Some gum to chew on for a bit.