Any Electricians here???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Chris Jones, May 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Thanks!!! Very good point!!! i'l check that first before proceeding, Karma.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

JohnO That is kind of what I was referring to! If it was ok to do this then I would think that the lighting Manufacturers would be doing just that! You could have a 4 light system and turn them on one at a time to gradually increase your lighting as the day progresses, That would be great But I just have the feeling that, Like I said if this was OK to do then the Manufactures would be doing it. ;)

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=fletch link=board=lighting;num=1084752827;start=0#11 date=05/20/04 at 15:27:06]JohnO That is kind of what I was referring to! If it was ok to do this then I would think that the lighting Manufacturers would be doing just that! You could have a 4 light system and turn them on one at a time to gradually increase your lighting as the day progresses, That would be great But I just have the feeling that, Like I said if this was OK to do then the Manufactures would be doing it. ;)[/quote]

Fletch,

You are of course quite correct. I can only guess that the manufacturers do not add these things for the reason of cost.

John

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I agree with John, its most likely a cost issue.

I see no problem doing what you want to do, just like has been said, use wire and switches rated to your specs.

6. Chris Jones

If any one has looked at , or is waiting for the result of my idea [smiley=idea2.gif] in this thread, this is NOT a plausable option!!! My dad, who just happens to know alot about alot, reminded me that a ballast is a heavy duty :eek:VOLTAGE MULTIPLIER!!! Upwards of 600 to 800 volts [smiley=shocked2.gif] come out of this step up transformer, that is required to excite the photon packets packed in the vacuum tube. So needless to say, this would cause great harm to a timer or switch rated for way less voltage. [smiley=stop.gif] So this is a no go. I will endever to find an alternate solution. [smiley=smokin.gif]

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Yes, I know, that's what I wrote above :)

John

8. Click Here!

9. Chris Jones

Yes, I know you know! Your post made me look into the matter in depth. I was fixated on the fact that they were merely 65 watt bulbs, forgetting the fact that we are now talking about gaseous excitation. The thought provocation in this forum is one of the things I love. Karma John O!

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HAHAHAHA How did you know I was going to have Indian food on Saturday night? :)

John

11. Chris Jones

I restrained from similar comments, John. From the size of that camper you will be in, Dianah Will appreciate if this was the last Indian meal for a couple of weeks. LMAO! Have fun and take pics!!

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Ohhhh, you DO know me well, don't you LOL

John