Any Corals out there that hate light?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by reefchaos, Jun 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

All these years I assume ALL corals loves light.. low lighting to very high lighting. Atleast some kind of light. A buddy at my LPS say there are a few corals that rather be in a shaded area in an aquarium, where the light is very very little or barely any. If there is, do you guys/girls know any? I wanna see how they look like. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Sun corals, and most gorgonians, certain hydrocorals, caribbean golden zoanthid, cup corals, dead mans fingers (soft temperate coral), carnation corals (dendronephthya spp.). Scleronephthya spp (tree corals) and Siphonogorgia (china corals) prefer low light levels.

1 person likes this.
  4. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

Wow! how u know all this? Great Info Phil.. +k

5. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I read a lot and have kept a couple of these species when my tank had lower level of light with just a small number of LEDs.

6. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

:eek: wow dident think there were so many, but this is the very reason i have lower lighting in half my tank, as to the bright lighting most others like to use. ;D

7. Takara

Takara Astrea Snail

my chili coral has to be covered from extreme light, I love that little thing

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Some of these corals are even non photosynthetic. They get all of their energy by feeding.

10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Tell me something? You get corals that have to be fed?....I havent understood the whole feeding concept yet....Why do you have to feed them?...Who fed them in the Ocean?...I dose my tank with live phyto...Wouldnt that feed them?
    Danny

11. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

gorgonians need low to no light? i have always read that they need medium to high lighting??

12. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Depends, some are photosynthetic and require light while others are strictly filter feeders.