Any coral that can be kept without any kind of light?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by leighton1245, May 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Is there any coral that can be kept without any kind of light?

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

NPS maybe? Sun corals, Dendro's, Gorgonians. There is a longer list at azoox.org.

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

NPS coral can go with little to no light but many of them are extremely difficult to care for.

5. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Yeap both of the previous posters are correct. They will require feeding by hand,though I've heard on mature systems running no skimmer with large algae scrubbers ocasional feeding is required as oppsed to regular feedings

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Also, most Gorgonians are Non-PhotoSynthetic. They require extremely heavy dosing though.

Most NPS corals are very difficult, if not impossible to keep. At a minimum, you will be dosing and hand feeding each polyp.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you want to get your eye in on NPS, I would recommend getting a 3-5 polup frag of dendros and feeding them to see if its something you would do everyday.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The ones I'd say are easier to keep from the NPS are dendros and sun corals. They just require lots of feeding, and very good nutrient export. It's good to use a sun coral as a gauge of whether you really want to do this to yourself, as they have a good number of polyps and wills how you fairly quickly if you're not keeping up with their needs.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i would not go that route, they are very hard to care for you need to target feed all the polyps.

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

The sun coral route isnt a bad idea. Look at like Maryland Corals for Sale | Saltwater Fish | Inverts | Reef | Clams and some of the other frag selling sponsors and you can find some of the small $10-$20 frags with only a few heads. I hate to recommend the trial & error route on any living thing coral included but with a smaller frag you can learn to better care for them on a cheaper level, and if things go south it isnt a huge financial loss.

12. Cjiggajess

Cjiggajess Bristle Worm

Sun corals are a good way to go, I target feed mine by putting a frozen cube of brine shrimp in a see thru shallow lil dish, Like a glass condiment cup, U have to be fast flip it upside down and right over ur sun coral. Make sure to leave a lil crack so current will still get under and move the water around. Once it starts to defrost shrimp will fall and ur sun will go crazy. So much easier than hand feeding each head. Its what i do anyway. Im not saying its the right way its just the way ive found the best to feed mine. My mom has a bigger one and does the same thing with a lil bigger cup.