any betta breeders out there???

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by reefwisperer, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

Im in the process of removing my female betta from the breeding tank.. i am looking for information on how to give the fry proper care... I also would like to know the best way to remove the female without disturbing the bubble nest.... ????

2. Click Here!

3. Truett

Truett Plankton

You need to very carefully net the female out. Then put her in a small tank or fish bowl with some methaline blue and let her recover for about a week.
    Leave the fry with the male for 3 days and then take him out. Do a 50% water change on the fry every day or every other day. feed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp or some very fine fry food. after about a month you will have to seperate the males from the females. You can put all of the females togather but you may have to put the males seperate.

4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

daphina and vinegar eels are your best bet for food. i think its daphina vinegar eels for sure.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

my daughter had done a lot of research on this and said micro worms are what you need. She was told the live brine are to quick for the hatch lings.

6. reefwisperer

For sure working on getting the female out of the tank without disturbing the bubble nest
    this will be a job as there are close quarters and plants growing out of the tank ..... believe me next time i decide to breed will be done in breeding tanks .. just looking to save as many fry as possible in this frist time breeding process... any information will be greatly appreciated

Nicole (ReefWisperers Wife)

7. Truett

Truett Plankton

Next time just put them in a small tank ( 5 gallons will do ) with six inches of water in it.
    Then put a floating plant or a piece of styrofoam in one end for the male to build tge bubble nest and that will be good. Feed the male and female frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp until the mate.

8. Click Here!

9. reefwisperer

thanks everyone for the help i really appreciate any information is very appreciated

10. reefwisperer

update on bettas

ok now the fry have hatched and are starting to swim and there tails are visable. the male is still catching them and putting them back in the nest . it has been 3 days.... ..is it safe to remove him ? will the fry be ok. there is tiny organizams from the plant i put in as preperation i read that they will feed on these till they can eat blood worms and brine.