Anthias establishing dominance! *video*

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That should re-adjust her attitude.... provided she's still a she. Our lyretail female was aggressive as any male to any newcomer. She would come up and sit in the feeding dish in my hand.

She started to change, even though there was no male in the tank. I guess she did that around year 5 or something. So, I'm not sure what she finally ended up being.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

This is a great thread. Everyone was able to work it out for the better. Awesome!

4. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I just removed a Yellow/Blue Damsel that went CRAzy on the world, she was out for 2 weeks. 2 nights ago, I released it back into the main tank, with no lights on, and thus far it has been a totally new fish, no dominance, no agression. I have promised myself that if there is another issue, then im afraid the pet shop will get a guest coming to stay

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Sorry but suggested tank size for this fish is 75g and that's for just one, same species will very often lead to aggression in small spaces. IMO 4 of these fish in a 75g is too many in a small space. Which is why your seeing aggression already. If it was aggression towards just newcomers would be one thing but the fish are fighting same species and sex which is a territory thing. When I added my second anthers the two joined sides immediately and have shown no aggression.

When I first bought the female I wanted to buy 3 cuz I thought they would school and be happy. My lfs is who informed me sticking two same sex in a small tank will lead to aggression and wouldn't sell me more than one at a time. I want ahead of his advice and ended up lucky, the aggression your video showed looked like bad aggression very violent, not just tail swaying.

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

The female that was already established tail swayed the other 2 females, but was aggressive only towards the one that had started to change to male.

7. Toallhisdoom

so anyone know any tricks to get this anthias out? she is wicked fast. She has all 3 of the newbies hiding up behind the overflow box. She does let them come out to eat. But when the male comes out other wise she basically forces him to the sand bed and just hovers over him and does not let him go away. She dose not seem to really be fighting him anymore tho, just not letting him free swim throughout the tank. So i am thinking i should move her? Or is this going to just keep going until she turns into a male? any ideas?

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

How long have you had the original one?

10. Toallhisdoom

11. Toallhisdoom

12. Renee@LionfishLair

You sound like me. Do you have a picture of her?