Anthias establishing dominance! *video*

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Toallhisdoom, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

To funny??? What a horrible comment and That's a terrible video

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

the are fine! they just were doing that to establish dominance. The original female is now the "alpha" and they were all eating just fine this morning. The 3 new guys are all together and the original is taking on the role of the male. So i believe in a few weeks she will probably start to turn. No one was hurt. All fish are alive and well and eating. No cuts or wounds. Maybe a bruise to someones pride but that's about all. If it had continued and gotten more severe i would have separated them.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. Toallhisdoom

and i don't see it as "cock fights" or "pitbull fighting" i did not put this video up for people to watch a fight, mealy put this up to show what happens with these fish to establish dominance and pack order. You can turn on discovery channel and see the same thing with lions, or wolfs. There was no "fight to the death". Please do not interpret it that way that is not what i was intending!

5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

All I seen was what naturally happens in nature, though I would never purposly put the fish in that situation to fight and I am sure Toallhisdoom didn't either, I have had that happen all the time when I kept fresh water fish. In some situations for breeding that has to happen, females won't breed with just any male. I wouldn't say funny, but interesting.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The male will not convert back into a female, it doesn't work that way. Mine would get along fine for periods and then have it out. They stopped and chilled for something like 6 months and then started back up but to a higher degree. That's when the smaller ones jaw was broken. When she was gone, the remaining 2 went at it. I separated them out eventually.

7. Toallhisdoom

Well what if it is not really a male yet? I mean i believe it started the change but is in the very beginning stage? Should i remove the aggressive one that is territorial over the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

No, I would wait and see if they work it out.

10. Toallhisdoom

well i hope they do, but if the male cant turn back? and the female is the dominant one, wont she just kill him? i deff don't want that to happen.

thanks for all your advice btw

11. Renee@LionfishLair

If the established female is a legit male now, they will fight until one is removed in that size of a tank. If she's just the dominant female, she should roll into line eventually. You have to watch that mouth locking, though. In the wild they are able to "get out of dodge", in your tank they can just go to the other side, which is no escape at all.

Can you get the established one out for a bit and then add her back in?

You may want to edit out the part where you want people to "like" your video. You're the "Youtube Generation" and know that a Youtube/Facebook "Like" isn't the same as a general "like", as old farts (like me) have come to know it. It may sound like you were enjoying the aggression to those who are not familiar with either social media.

12. Toallhisdoom

yea i can! i have a 40 breeder plumbed in so same system! its empty just some base rock. will do that tonight if i can catch her! haha