Anthelia Taking Over

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by BaxterS80, Jan 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Ok, so, I purchased a piece of rock a few months back that had a Long Polyp Toadstool and a frag of Anthelia. The Anthelia is now growing out of control. It has grown onto a few of the adjacent rocks including one that is covered in zoa's. I want to remove the Anthelia from that rock without damaging the coral. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated....8)

Heres a pic....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Never had a problem with them.. I did notice one today by my montipora... Don't know how it got there....

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I had a wicked outbreak of that nuisance coral. Never again would I add a crappy coral like that to my tank unless it's the only coral that I want to keep. Until my tank got zapped by a loose cord in a powerhead, the only thing that killed it was smearing kalk paste on it. What I would do is snip the polyps off with a scissor (taking care to catch the polyps and get them out of the tank lest they land and start a new colony elsewhere). Then I would smear the mat of the coral with kalk paste. Take care not to get the paste on anything that you don't want to "burn" off.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have picked it off with surgical twesers before.

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You can also send the whole rock to me and I'll take care of it for you.:hehe:

1 person likes this.
  7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Be careful what you wish for!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

No kidding, that stuff is worse then Xenia spreading around.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I love the stuff! Best to keep it contained on an area that is not neighboring another coral to alleviate the chance of it moving as quickly and over crowding other neighboring corals!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I won't put xenia in my tank either. If you want a predominantly soft coral tank, it's all well and good but if you even think about keeping SPS corals, you had better think twice about adding these kinds of invasive corals to your reef!

12. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

I got an idea.grab a flamethrower and stick it the tank and burn it all off!!!watch out for the fish tho.lol ;D