Another Taotronics light review.. The Good and Bad

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jaymostella, May 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Tank looks great bro, while another fixture won't hurt, that may be enough light. But hey, more light is always good! ;) Wondering if the clam just isn't used to the led's, they are deceptive in light strength!

2. Click Here!

3. beaner4747

beaner4747 Astrea Snail

Haha this is so informative!! I'vebeen looking for LEDs for months and finally made up my mind, but I can find the taotronics dimmable version can anyone send me a link?? Thanx

4. Captainreef

Captainreef Plankton

I want to thank you for your thread. I have been debating on these lights for about 3 months now. I just order them and can’t wait for their arrival. I will be replacing my current 360W PC set up that I have had good success with growing some Zoo’s and LPS I also have a couple of chalice as well. Do you have any advice on acclimating my current coral to these lights?

5. beaner4747

beaner4747 Astrea Snail

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ where did u order them and was it the dimmable version?? And can u send me a lnk

6. Captainreef

Captainreef Plankton

I did not purchase the dimmable version I plan on purchasing a blue LED bar for moon lights and use a timer I purchased these.

Here is a link for the dimmable one.
    New Dimmable 120w led light of aquarium coral reef led grow light | eBay
    Also if you just go to EBay and search 120W dimmable LED in the aquarium and fish category you will find others. Hope it helps.

7. beaner4747

beaner4747 Astrea Snail

Thank you soooooooooo much, I've been try to find them and I can believe i didn't see these... I can wait till they arrive. And again thank you

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Jay your tank looks great. Interesting hanging you have there on them lights.

My 'ol 125 only has one brace across in the middle on the top.

OUr tanks are very similarly stocked fish wise, I'm jealous of your corals.
    I have 20 different types of corals- how many do you have?

Again, your tank looks great!!

10. jaymostella

jaymostella Skunk Shrimp

Ty Todd...

Yeah I wanted to hang the lights level and square but with the 2 cross braces the shadows were just too unforgiving... I tried many different ways and this is the best I could get most coverage and least shadows...

Its funny as I still see my tank as a pile of rocks, very unorganized and way to amateurish... I do appreciate your compliments and everyone elses... I read somewhere that a person will always see there own tank differently than others....

I have in neighborhood of 40-50 corals if you count each one. I have lost a couple and added a couple along the way.. My most recent additions are a cynaria and ORA screaming green birds nest and a Cali Blue Tort... I lost my elegance that I really liked... My toadstool, out of all things, was my favorite but its loyps have not came out in over a week and half... It still expands everyday and draws up at night but no polyps.. I think it may be a lioghting issue and led acclimation... I have moved it but cant get it to open... ARGH...

Todd, How do you have your powerheads placed? Thats another area I struggled with and seems my tank is very finicky with how I direct them.... Do you have the same issue?

PS - Hows the job??? Didnt you just start a new one?

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I have a total of 7 different water movers. I place them kinda randomly and somewhat opposing. Every tank/set will up will be different.
    You can breifly see them in my DT vid- if tht helps at all.

My job is going well, Surgical first assist, doing rounds, etc.
    Today is my 5th day, still some growing pains with it, but it's going well-thanks for asking.