Another question about an overflow

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by giopimentel, Sep 3, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's a weir overflow. Once you get it set to the correct depth, the siphone should start all on it's own.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Does it have a hole at the top for and air lifter pump?

I usually fill the front and back sections to the baffles with water, and I have an aqualifter pump hooked up to that little hole on top. It draws the air out. The other end is hanging in the tank to put any water it sucks out back into the tank. Alternately, you could hook up a venturi style powerhead in the tank attaching the venturi air line to the hole on top of the overflow. Once it is set, it should restart after power failures and such with no trouble at all ;D

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I bought that same overflow. On the top is a small white nib. put a piece of airline tubing on the nib and connect the other end to either, as BirdLady suggests, an aqualifter pump (about $10.00 from many places), or as I did put the other end on the air venturi port on a powerhead. The first time, you will need to make sure that there is water in the middle chamber (the outside portion of the box, closest to the tank. When the inner box fills up, the air will be sucked through the tubing and start the weir. Don't worry about the bubbles coming out from your powerhead, they will stop as soon as all the air is evacuated from the Overflow. :)

Mike

Well, color me embaressed. :oops: I didn't read all of BL's post. I just duplicated all she said. (but she said it first ;D )

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005