Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Sounds like you are on your way to a beautiful reef tank. Keep us posted!! And plenty of pics if you can!!

Drew

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I sure hope it turns out well dx. Time will tell as they say. You'll have to let me know how to add the pics to the thread. I'm not sure anyone will be impressed right now with a bunch of live rock sitting in the tank...lol I have noticed some little tiny creatures crawling around on the rocks this morning and a clear snail type thing (very tiny) on the front of the tank. Not sure what these things are. Shows me I do have some life in my tank though which is reassuring. Thanks again to all who have responded with encouragement and the advice I need. It is valued and appreciated greatly.

Todd

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I am glad you are having fun! Sounds like all good stuff you got there!!! Reefs are a bit more work...but we all get the "fever" and switching a FO to a reef is a bit tricky and more work. You can do what you have now as fish only for a while to get the hang of it but just be careful which fish you choose as there are quite a few fish that are not "reef safe" meaning, they will eat corals, etc. Then, when you have your confidence.....you can start with heartier corals.

What animals are you looking to get first?
    Have you gotten any good books on the subject? Which one(s) did you get? :D :D

Yes, we would love to see pictures!! Check out my gallery photos...I don't even have water yet ::) To post them , click on the browse button in the reply box and find on your computer.....

5. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Eveing all. After many many hours of picking brains of the people in the know, I have switched my Fluval to a 125 gallon wet/dry filter with a supreme 950 pump. I have been told by many that this is the way to go with a reef tank and especially if I plan to upgrade later to a bigger tank I would be set. Anyway, after some playing around with this new filter, I can not seem to get my levels correct in the filter, or the tank for that matter. I had to add water to the tank after the filter filled itself. I put enough in to get it at the water line on the filter. Turned everything on and it ran fine for 20 seconds or so and then the filter went empty on the pump side and it started blowing air. So I filled the filter with water to try and help it and it did the same thing. As this happened, my tank was about an inch from over flow. I set the basket at a different height hoping thast would work. I guess I am lost on this new setup. Any suggestions as to how to get this corrected. I have 70lbs of live rock that have been without a filter for the last 7 hours. I do have the skimmer on the help add oxygen in the water and clean it. Hopefully thast is enough for now. Would hate to loose all the nice Live Rock due to ignorance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Todd

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey Todd! Good choice with the wet/dry....

It just takes a little tweaking to find the sweet spot!

First, (now this is important) you want to adjust the overflow basket so that if there is a power failure, you sump does NOT overflow!!!! It will continue to gravity feed without power so.....

Next, I put a Ball Valve on my return pumps to regulate flow back into the tank....You can do this in one of two ways that I know of...

1. Pump return to ball valve to tank (simple) and this will place a bit of backpressure on the pump and might generate a little more heat...

OR

2. Pump return to a "T" fitting......one going straight back into the tank, and one going to the side to return water to the sump AND with the ball valve on it. This diverts water from the main line, and puts it back into the sump ...you adjust the ball valve to regulate how much flow is diverted....thus, less back pressure on the pump.

You may have to mess around with the basket level a bit. Just make sure it is no LOWER than would fill your wet/dry....test it by shutting off pump and seeing where the level is. When you find the correct balance....mark a water line on your wet/dry so you can top off water as it evaporates. ;D

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thanks birdlady. I appreciate your time once again. I think I will need to add the ball valve as you mentioned. I have adjusted the over flow in the tank in every position available. The filter will still run dry no matter what level the water is in the tank or filter. I think the pump is too efficient to be honest. Hard to say without a lot of knowledge on the subject. It just seems to make sense though. I will go out today and try and pick up a ball valve and see if that will work. Will this skimmer suffice for now without a lot of water flow through the tank? I want to make sure my live rock does not suffer from this set back. Thank you again.

Todd

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yes, that's what it sounds like....your overflow box is probably rated at less GPH that your pump. Another option , if you want to move that much water, would be to upgrade the overflow to a larger one, or add a second one to double the flow. That way, you could probably get the pump to run wide open....with a little tweaking.

I personally , think the rock should be fine. You are skimming, you could always add a power head inside the tank ...you will need one or two eventually anyway..to add flow to areas of the tank that don't get good flow. :D

10. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

It seems to make sense to me. :p The over flow I have on there is already big I thought. I thought about downgrading to a smaller pump, but that would cause problems down the road when I do upgrade. I will pick up a ball valve today and try that. Or maybe just hire an aquarium guy to come out and set this up so that I do not mess it up anymore than I have. That way it's done, and I can learn more of how to fix this stuff when need be. I don't know...LOL Just want it to be done already and on it's way to being ready for fish and corals. Thanks Birdlady.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Happy to help! Most of my postings are questions...I am glad I can actually help someone out!! ;D

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Well you have helped me tremendously. I did as you suggested and got a ball valve. The thing works like a charm now. Everything is looking nice and smooth. I have the protein skimmer on although it is not doing much right now as expected. The wet dry filter is operational finally, the lights are hooked up and on. It seems to be working like it is supposed too so far. Fingers crossed. I took some reading just to see where I was. This is what I found out so far:

Salinity- 1.023
    PH-8.1 (I think I need to raise this a tad)
    Ammonia-0.0

I have added about 5ml of calcium, iodine and strontium/molybdenum. I did add 4 teaspoons of PH & Alkalinity buffer to help the PH. Please let me know if these readings are close to where I should be. The water temp is right at 80 degrees currently.

Thank you again Birdlady for your invaluable advice.

Todd