Another new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Aug 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Evening everyone. In am new to this forum as well as the world of Saltwater living. I have currently:
    46G Bow front with crushed coral (30lbs), Fluval 340 filter, 100w thermometer, canopy and basic lighting. I added 25 lbs of Instant ocean early evening today and tested the water shortly thereafter with a hydrometer. The reading was low so I figured the water had to cycle through for a period of time. I just checked it again and am getting a reading of well over 1.032. The needle is pegged past this mark on my meter. The temperature is showing 80. I have no live rock or anything in the tank as it is new. Wondering how this reading can be so high with that little of salt put in the tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Todd

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I assume that you are using a swing arm hydrometer? Like a Deep 6 or something similar? If it is give it a good rinse with some vinegar and then with some warm water. Also make sure there are no air bubbles on the little swing arm.

I would also leave it for a while and measure again.

BTW. WELCOME :)

John

If all that fails,

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Yes I am using a deep six. Good call. :eek:)~
    I will try the vinegar and warm water trick. Hopefully that will help. I did not notice any air bubbles when performing the test. I will double check next test though to be sure. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Todd

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No worries Todd.

I use a deep six and it works OK for me :) The vinegar really only makes sure that any calcium build up is dissolved and keeps it clean. Just make sure that you rinse it with fresh water :)

Please let us all know how you progress :)

Cheers

John

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Well the vinegar and fresh water rinse seemed to help. The reading is now 1.027/8. Still a bit high, but is progressing the way I need it to. I think I will let it cycle over night here and re-check in the morning. Thank you again for your help. It is very appreciated. I will update the post in the a.m. with my findings. Good night.

Todd

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Good morning all. I re-tested the tank twice. Still getting used to tapping the hydrometer to make sure no bubbles are on the needle and to make sure I am testing correctly. I now have a reading of 1.020. I believe that is the bottom of the norm. If not please let me know. water temp is in the high 70's. I have noticed that my heater light has not turned on in the last 24 hours. It is plugged in and is set at 76. I will assume because the water temp is a bit higher than that, the heater has not turned on yet?? Or is the light on the heater supposed to be on 24/7 whether it is actually heating the water or not? I apologize for my ignorance on this. Just want everything to be perfect is all. Thank you for your time.

Todd

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

The heater I had only was heating if the light was on....
    So you should be good to go ;D

10. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you for the quick reply. I just think I am over cautious right now with my first setup and worrying about everything too much. ;D

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Sure thing Poppy!

BTW, in the meantime, while you are waiting..and worrying ;D

If you go to your profile, you can add tank info to the signature block....someone is gonna ask you to sooner or later. That way, when you have a question, it is posted each time automatically. ;D. See mine below here.....

don't worry too much....you are doing the right thing, reading, questioning, waiting :D Have fun!

12. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Thank you for the heads up on that Birdlady. I added the info. Thank you for the encouragement as well. It is appreciated. I will update the post as needed with any changes and questions as well as the introduction of fish to the tank which I was told could be as soon as this Friday after a thorough water test by the pet shop I use. Of course they said basic fish to start with like damsels. Fish that are hearty. Please advise if anyone does no think this is correct. Thank you again.

Todd