Another new member

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by phoenix73, Jan 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenix73

phoenix73 Plankton

Hi everyone,

I started getting into salt water aquariums about 3 yrs ago. I upgraded from a 29 gallon that I kept for about 2 years to a 150 gallon tank. I was not wise at the time and bought a non-drilled tank and no overflow. My only filtration is a very large cannister filter and I am adding an aqua c 400 protein skimmer.

I am fine with the fish, but I am joining the forum to learn more because we are renovating the house and I want to move the 150 gallon tank to become a room divider and I need some help with figuring out how to do it.

Currently, all filtration, drainage and filling of the tank is done in my garage since the tank currently shares a wall with the heated garage. I need to figure out how to simplify water changes etc.. with the tank set in the middle of a room.

I'll get some photos of my current system up in a bit.

I am sure that I will have many questions on the way.

Thanks

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Hi, welcome to 3reef!. You could put a pump that goes to a resevoir tank where you mix saltwater. and then you can put a U on the tank and put a valve on the hose going to a drain, then put a cheap pump in the resevoir and run a line to the tank. then you just open the valve and let the amount of water you wish to remove out. and then turn the pump on to pump fresh water into the tank. it sounds complicated, but thats probably the easiest and most practical kind of automatic water changing systems there are. Unless you have lots of money. Once again, Welcome to 3reef!

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here!

Number of inroom/inwall tank members here. Expect to get all the help you need.

Good Luck!

;D ​

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Welcome to 3reef.

6. phoenix73

phoenix73 Plankton

thanks aquaboy. That is basically what I am doing now. I have a valve that I turn that allows the water from the tank to drain directly into a sink in the garage. I then have a sump pump that pumps new water from a 35 gallon drum back up the line into the tank.

It takes about 20 minutes to change 30 gallons of water and works great, but in order to get the same type of system in the middle of the room, I will have to add a serious amount of room around the tank. I guess that is what I have to figure out.

Thanks

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Thats why i have to stick to water changes by hand, just not enough space. With the sump, skimmer, return pump, closed loop pump (ocean runnner 3500 or 3700, either way its big) and assorted "crap" i have no space for anything else. I guess i have to get a cabinet nest to the tank and plumb stuff there :-/

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome aboard mate and we are waiting for some pic's.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef and best of luck with your tank(s)!

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)