Another Infection?...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Todd_Sails, Nov 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No, not my fish, or coral.

I never really wear gloves, often handle things, and rarely have a problem with this,
    But Monday morning 11/23/15,
    I was helping a friend 'redo' his DT and trying to rid the rocks of Blue Cloves.
    To make a long story short- I got a very small abrasion (~1mm) from one of the
    Reef Rocks on the ulnar (fifth finger) side of my wrist.

(Having had an infection from my own tank once 3 years ago) - I actually realized what had happened,
    and washed it thoroughly with soap and water, and went back to helping.

This happened Monday morning. By that night, it was getting red, and I washed it again and put Triple antibiotic ointment on it and went to bed.
    The next morning- Tuesday, a red band was going up my forearm.
    I keep Abx around for things like this, and took 100mg Doxycycline, and 500mg Ciprofloxiacin and went to work.
    At work my coworker also gave 1g of Ceftriaxone I.M. ( A shot in the but)

By lunchtime on Tuesday, the red band had traveled up to and slighlty past my antecubital fossa (my inner elbow)! I continued the topical Abx, and took the Doxy and cipro twice daily.

The red band going up my arm began to retreat/go back, and by Wednesday morning it was much smaller.

This morning I'm still using topical Abx ointment, and on my third day of the PO (by mouth) Abx,
    and I'm glad to say, it's almost gone and improving.

Good thing too- I"m having an ACL reconstruction to my left knee in 1 week, and would have to postpone if I were infected.

So, be careful out there folks with the 'live rock'

Sataly and DSC reef like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

I've always known about the severity our tanks can cause. this got me wanting to get those reef gloves

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Your lucky todd! The tiniest cut can cause severe damage with the bacteria in the rocks. I use black nitrile gloves just in case

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks ya'll,

I'm usually careful, and even saw the potential danger and washed it well right away, but didn't us Abx ointment until that night.

DSC reef likes this.