another clown with white film #3 of 4 ARGH!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by serotonin, Jul 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

#1 died about 2 months ago, #2 died about 2 weeks ago, #3 is showing latter stage signs now, #4 looks healthy. (yes i had 4 originally)

I swear I am about to go insane. I cannot figure this disease/illness out but its ravaging my clowns. I've talked with ppl at the LFS and they are clueless. I've also made a post previously without much luck.

Symptoms:
    -a white filmy/cottonish looking glaze covering the clown(s)
    -when the film covers most of the body the fish will prefer to spend its time in a high current area, oxygen depletion I'm guessing is the cause of this. Pretty confident the filmy stuff is getting to the gills then.
    -respiration is up but not at an extreme, again pointing to respiratory problems.
    -eating habits are aggressive as usual
    -later stages the rear fin will become very whitish and red(inflamed)
    -the rear fin will likely fall off within 24 hours of 1st sign of the whitish tail. I think its more likely to be from the stress than the illness, but don't quote me. This has a distinct vertical line between the whitish fin and the body.
    -once the tail falls off the fish will likely pass withing 24-48 hours

My water parameters are great as far as know.
    -0ppm nitrates, nitrite, ammonia.
    -pH, hardness are all in check but i don't recall the exact values
    -water changes range from 10-30% every week

Action taken previously was
    fish #1, no action taken he croaked in the tank
    fish #2, put in QT to see if a less stressful environment would help. Also treated for body fungus as that was the diagnosis then.
    fish #3 is in QT as of this morning with cuppramine dosed to 25ppm and will increase to 40ppm if there is any sign of improvement.

My guess is brooklynella is causing this(hence the copper). It's hard to say though, the fish won't hover at the top or bottom, eating habits are good. But the whitish film and the high-current swimming habits make me say yes. Doubt its velvet, it doesn't progress fast enough. Certainly not ich. Body fungus is likely no b/c water prams are great and treatment for fish #2 didn't help any.

PLEASE PLEASE don't hesitate to post your ideas, I don't claim to be a pro! Shoot down my thoughts, call me crazy, I don't care. I need some help here my fish are dying and I'm not having much luck in saving them.

Thanks all!

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am not sure what the problem is but it sounds to me like your are not to sure of your water Parameters, Please check them all and post them so we can hopefully tell better what the problem is.

It sounds like a Water Quality problem to me, and then a secondary fungal infection. But I am not positive. Also a picture will help John

4. serotonin

I'm sure my water paramaters are in check. If there's anything specific you need a reading on please let me know. Everything I've measured has been on the better end of the scales. Also, my inverts would let me know if something isn't right. All other life in the tank is flourshing, its just the clowns with any abnormalities.

Thanks much!

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well the disease Brooklynella It is a parasitic problem, and may well be what is ailing your clowns, it is sometimes called Clownfish Disease. and one of the recommended treatments is a Full 15-minute freshwater dip to remove the parasites from the fish. if the fish is in QT you can also treat it with Formalin but do not use this in your display tank as it is toxic to inverts.

6. serotonin

I have not used formalin and copper salts at the same time. Is this safe? I think i may just prepare a bath with formalin for the two clown fishes and then begin hyposalinity and a lower level copper treatment in QT.

The only other fish in the tank is a coral beauty that shows 0 signs of any illness. I have an established, empty 72gal tank that has been running for a couple months with an established canister filter to seed the tank. Perhaps teh best idea is to keep the MT fisheless for a month? If so should I also bathe the coral beauty before putting it in the 72gal? Im leary of putting it through such stresses.

thx again

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

did you quarantine before placing your fishes? if all the fishes die better quarantine any new additions next time.

freshwater dips are also damaging. use this method sparingly. and only with acclimated and healthy looking fishes. unless you feel it is the only way to save a badly infected specimen. In most cases in their weakened state they would die even with FW dips.

Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am not big on treating with 2 or more treatments at the same time, I would first do the 15-minute freshwater dip and then use the formalin in the QT tank. Yes I think you should put the coral beauty in QT also as angles are also able to get Brooklynella.
    I also think that keeping your MT fish free is a good idea. John

10. serotonin

Couldn't agree more, I'll post my success with the copper salts and hypo in a day or two. If the fish continues to degrade I'll begin removing copper and add formalin unless it's suggested to do both.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Do what you will

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

it's fungus... start doing weekly water changes. 5gal's minimum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.