Unresolved Another anemone issue

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by HuckFinn, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Astrea Snail

Hi. I have a smaller rose anemone that yesterday started roaming the tank. Came up this morning outside the DT on the wet filter side. I got him out and placed him on some live rock. Well he moved again and seems to have gotten hung up in some old dead branch coral. Is this normal? Should I try to get hime out and if so how, without hurting him?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is normal for the anemone to try and find the spot it likes best. It will probably get out of the coral just fine.

4. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

What kind of flow do you have in your tank and where is is. I see you have a nano pump but what nozzle does it have on it? if the flow is too pinpoint it may be so strong that it is shoving the nem around the tank. try lowering the flow and see if he is moving on his own or being pushed.

5. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

Yes you need to get him out, your 8 gallon nano isnt big enough and your lighting is not for an anemone. mushrooms, zoas, and some softies for these tanks. unless you upgrade your lighting.

6. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Astrea Snail

RNO - not sure how I would upgrade the lighting. Any suggestions? In any case this guy is small - Dime sized foot. I have the built in pump with the nano tank and added a small power head on the oposite side - pointed to the surface. I am not noticing scouring of the sand from the flow.

7. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

Your running a total of 36 watts, not enough light for a rose nem, there are upgrades for these tanks with meatal halides.

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Your light is definitely not strong enough, and these guys really hate fluctuations in sg. And in a tank that small (i would know I have a 10 g) you need to be topping off a little each day, so just some food for thought. I think the smallest t-5 is what 24 inches? someone can correct me if i'm wrong. You could get a metal halide pendant and hang it over the tank, but at that point you might as well just upgrade the tank as well. My recommendation is go get some store credit for the guy and go get like a pistol shrimp goby combo or a pistol or fire shrimp.

10. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

beat me to it RNO it took me 15 mins to write that cus i was watching the colbert report haha