Anoneme Spliting or Dieing?  W/ Pic

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cpandrewschmidt, Dec 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

I got this on Friday. It is a BTA that was about 3 inches around when I got him. I woke up this morning and saw it was real small, about a quarter size or so. When I looked at it tonight after work it was still small. It looked like it moved to a crevase and was strangling itself or dieing (is that how you spell dieing :) But it now looks like a figure 8 and maybe its spliting. I just thought that would be weird seeing as it wasn't that big to begin with. What do you all think?

Andrew

2. Click Here!

3. cpandrewschmidt

Not sure if the pic is working my computer sucks. I'll try again

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Mine has shriveled down to nothing a few times and I thought it was dying. My understanding is that they sometimes deflate. I guess its their way of pooping. But then it always comes back bigger and better. Mine has split once. I thought it had just gotten itself twisted up but it wound up being two seperate BTA's.

I bet yours is just deflating. Let us know.

Cindy

5. cpandrewschmidt

Thanks for replying. I am so new to all this I freak if something looks different. Today it was open once again. So hopefully it is ok. Thanks again

Andrew

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like it's splitting to me. Is the mouth stretching apart?

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Inquiring minds want to know!

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Re: Anoneme Spliting or Dieing?  W/ Pic

And some are salivating :)

John

10. cpandrewschmidt

Sorry it took me a bit. Turns out it didn't split. It did open back up and looks like it did before. Weird thing?? I am glad to see it didn't die. It was crazy to see it shrink so much though. Thanks for caring

Andrew

11. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

I have small bta in my 29 gal and it always shrinks up, My LFS guy tells me the do this to release waste since they are mostly water they expell it from their bodies and that causes the shrinkage. It is pretty wild how small they get when they do this. I thought the same thing when it happened to me, good luck with it.

12. oceaninside

oceaninside Plankton

I just went through this same thing. It seemed to have deflated almost to the point of taking it out of the tank because i thought it was dead but then I noticed there were two parts to it now. Both pieces looked dead to me but I thought I would try and move them closer to the light and in some soft current. After two days my clown not only has an awesome crib but a pretty sporty bachelor pad as well. Just nature taking its course I guess.