Angel in trouble!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I started Hypo yesterday evening to get rid of ich. I have a 1.01 salinity level in the tank currently. Tonight shortly after feeding (he did not eat at all which is a first) I left the room for a bit and came back in the room to find the fish laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. I have never seen this fish do this. I am very worried I am about to lose this fish! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Also appears to be gasping to get air....I read all about this hypo treatment before starting it but now I think I should have left the fish alone. I think I am going to lost my flame angel before the night is over. He appears to be in serious distress. Should I acclimate him back to the orignal tank and hope for the best???? PLEASE HELP!!

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Did you get a refractometer yet?

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

No I do not have a refractometer as I have to order it....I am still using a hydrometer.

6. barbianj

The salinity can't be raised as quickly as it's dropped. If you decide to raise it, go very slowly.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

How slowly? If I try to put him back in the original tank I will be going from 1.01 to 1.25. I think I am going to lose this fish. It might be too late all ready.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Water parameters are PH 8.0, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm and salinity 1.01

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

11. barbianj

You would have to raise the salinity in the QT tank, don't put him back into the DT. I don't remember how much to raise the salinity per day, but I would do a couple of points and see if that helps. Hope it's not too late.

12. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

The problem with hydrometers are that they are inaccurate. Your salinity could be 1.005 or as high as 1.015... its hard to tell. How slow did you drop the salinity? When was the last time you cleaned your hydrometer? Soak it in vinegar for a half hour or so and then test your water. Or take a sample to your LFS and have them verify your results.

I am guessing you stressed the fish by dropping the salinity too fast tho. It needs to be done over 2-3 day possibly longer depending on starting and ending SG.