anenomes

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ive had to post as a geust , anyone else havin this trouble
    anyway

ive become pretty keen on gettin some anenomes in my tank just recently.
    its looking pretty bare, ive got 2 chromis, an ocelarris clown, and some live rock but im lookin at gettin a few more dif species of clowns an anenomies to liven it up a bit.
    ive jus got a few qsns guys

will they get along ??(dif species of clowns)
    wat sort of lighting is required ?(anenome)
    wat sort of maintanance ? and adaptibility with other fish ?

2. Click Here!

3. Saltygurl

Saltygurl Plankton

Grasshopper,

Anemones require alot of light...what lighting do you have now and what size tank do you have? They need to be fed directly in addition to the massive amounts of light that they require.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

anenomes are nice but very hard to keep also careful gettin different types of clowns. mixing species isnt really a good idea because they are known of definitly not gettin along. also when they adapt to a host they ;become very territorial over it which can cause fighting between other clowns your best bet is try to get a mate for your other clown and stick with 2 of them. anemones need perfect water conditions and very high lighting mhs i wouldnt go with anything lower. also depending on what type you get check on amoutn of water flow that they like light, med, or high.
    since you have chromises and the clown other species that go well with them are gobies, blennies, cardinals.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

grasshopper you got some good info here. I'd take it. From my own experience, I never had much luck with anemones until I got a halide lamp. Like everyone says they love light, without it, you might be able to keep them going with food, but it would be tricky. Plus you risk raising your nitrates with a lot of feeding. A lot of them need excellent water quality. (Your tank ain't that old either! ;) )

Hey good to see you here Saltygurl! :)

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

6. viking

viking Plankton

I have five different anemones in my tank. Some say it cant be done but for the most part i've never had much trouble from them at all. I dont have very good lights. Only 150w mh and a few NO tubes. I dont know what the secret might be be to keeping anemones but its not feeding them. As i often dont feed for months. Water quality??? i've had anemones that survive major problems with water quality that has killed fish.
    At one time i thought maybe it was the quality of the stock, but after getting an almost dead Magnificent (ritteri) out of a LFS bin and bringing it back to what i can only describe as full of life and colour, i dont dont know about that any more.
    One thing for sure is some people get problems and others dont. Why ???????????????????????????
    Cheers,
    Ciking.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

still havin trouble signin in matt
    must be my computer

im not sure wat lighting i have at the moment, i inherited it from a relo for free, so i wasnt complainin.
    the tubve has on it

SYLVANIA Gro Lux
    F18w/Gro - t8

the rest is faded an i cant read it
    my tank is only small, nuthin like u guys have, maybe 30 gallons at the max, im not sure.

thanx for ur help [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. viking

viking Plankton

SYLVANIA Gro Lux
    F18w/Gro - t8
    is i think an old lamp in the daylight group, I think its 6,500K but not sure. Its more for fresh water than salt. You could do better with an aquastar which is a 10,000k and available locally. 18watts is not a lot of light even on a small tank. Is that your only light? One tube?
    To be honest i think you would have problems trying to keep any anemones with only that light.
    Cheers,
    Viking.
    PS not a good idea to mix clown species in a tank that small.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey all! i was thinkin of gettin an anenome for my tomato clown, but i only have two 3foot tubes, one 6500K, and the other 18000K (actinic) they are NO, so would this be good? also, wat anenome do you get for a tomato clown?

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Shrimp_man I'd wait till you have better lights. Even low-light boy viking has a halide. 150w same as my old one. A 150w 10k would be nice on your tank Shrimp_Man but I'm not selling mine. ;D

Hey grasshopper are you Shrimp_Man? You are both from Australia! Anyway, I sent an email to your hotmail account with your username and password. If you are still having trouble clear your cache. Or you can send me an email too. [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

This is cool. People are starting to use the Member Map! Alright! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hey shrimpman nice to see ya back
    found a site for ya to check out it has a table that list types of clowns with the ones they host with and scientific names of the anemones that way u can do more research on that anemone

clown and anemone table