Anenomes

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hdog, Feb 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hdog

hdog Astrea Snail

So I was wondering about anemones for a tank and I'm particularly interested in the magnificent or ritteri anemone. Im concerned about it stinging other fish though. Are, say dwarf angels capable of avoiding an anemone if I place it in the top of the tank on its own liverock pillar? I know that keeping anemones is touchy but I know that the ritteri like being high in the tank near the lights so it (hopefully) wouldn't run around the tank. anyway thats it for now

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The Ritteri is a beautiful choice, although not quite as easy as a Condy or BTA. With proper care in a stable environment, it should be fine.

The biggest problem I've had with anemones is keeping shrimp-- they always seem to get bold enough to start stealing the nem's food, and eventually end up becoming dinner. :eek:

5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

+1 to this. I purchased an anemone once and after a week all the peppermint shrimp in the tank went missing. Remember that you can place an anemone wherever you want and then it will move wherever it wants to. You may get lucky and it stay where you put it, then 2 weeks later you come home from work and it decided to find a new home.

Good luck if you choose to get one. The angels will more than likely be fine as long as they stay healthy.

6. Coffin Worm

Coffin Worm Astrea Snail

I hear you on the shrimp problem. My RBTA just split a few weeks ago and I noticed my peppermint shrimp are gone. 2 btas are one to many for my 29 gallon tank.