Anenome ID Help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by New2Reef, Mar 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

I bought this from my LFS and forgot what it was...(newbie)Please help identify the Aneome, I couldnt locate it in any of the books my wife bought.Help Please.
    Thanks
    N2R

Attached Files:

• new.JPG
      new.JPG
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hmm.. hard to say.. what's the base look like? I hope it's not a Ritteri.  :p

Boy, not to come down on you too hard, but this could be a big mistake, anemones can be really delicate, you need to know what you are getting into. You may need to take this back depending on what your setup is and how old your tank is and what not.  :-/

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Re: Anemone ID Help

I would say with the lighting you have and the age of your tank the smartest thing you could do is return it tomorrow to the LFS you bought it from.

Sorry to be harsh but SLOW DOWN MAN!

J

5. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

This lil guy has moved around a couple times since we bought it on Sat...but seems to be very happy where it is now...As far as a base is concerned its like if you would turn it inside out...its a very similar color and smooth. It has closed up twice since its been in the tank,but the clown loves it.
    If its a Ritteri...What does that mean? If hes not happy now how can I make him? And I'm not sure why I should return him.Poisionous?
    Thanks
    N2R

6. CG

CG Bristle Worm

you would want to return it because if it dies then it will release a lot of toxins.

7. Jason McKenzie

"Heteractis crispa is known as the Sebae or Leather Anemone. It was previously named Radianthus keukenthali. Heteractis malu may also be called the Sebae Anemone. Heteractis crispa is usually light tan to brown in color, and may have purple tips on its tentacles.

Acclimation to aquarium life can be very difficult for this species and its care should only be attempted by the most experienced aquarists. In the aquarium it requires strong lighting, porous live rock, and a variety of sandy and rocky locations from which it can choose to live. The addition of a Clownfish, such as the Blue Striped Clown, Amphiprion chrysopterus, will immediately help with its acclimatization and improve its chances of survival. When healthy, it will become very sticky. If it grasps onto something (or someone), it will be very difficult to convince it to let go without damaging it.

Once acclimated, it should be fed a diet of fish, worms, clams, shrimp, and other meaty foods once a week."

This was taken from www.liveaquaria.com

It is very common for aquariests to purchase before research, I have done this myself. But to ensure a health and happy Reef Aquarium I would recommend that: When you see something you would like to have in your Aquarium ask the sales person to put it on hold. Go home and find out as much as you can about it. Through Book and online. Even ask here at 3reef (I have done it many times). If through your research the creature is something you can accommodate then purchase it. If it is not, perhaps plans to upgrade lights or trade in a competitive species would allow you the purchase it.

Please do not feel I am attacking you. It is important to remember these creatures do not exist outside of small pockets of reef though out the world and it is our responsibility to ensure that ignorance was not the cause of there extinction

Good Luck
    J

8. Click Here!

9. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

So what you mean Jason is that I made a big mistake buying my anemone? You say that it likes lots of light and mine is trying to get into cave between the LR. also I have it for a week already and it doesn't wants to eat is this normal?

Attached Files:

10. Jason McKenzie

Your tank specs are not the same as NEW2REEF. You have consiterably more light than NEW2REEF. and your tank is much older.

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Szogun The age of your tank and the 400w halide should help keep your anemone alive as far as eating what have you tried feeding it so far?
    New2 what do you know about your anemone? when you bought it did you check the mouth and base ( foot) for damage or if it was torn? What was it eating at the lfs? How old is your tank again? I assume it is fairly young as everyone is telling you to slow down. What corals do you have in the tank and did anyone warn you that they may be damaged or killed by the anemone looking for its happy place?

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome New2Reef,

Anenomes have a less than two year survival rate in the home aquaria but live for tens of years in the wild.  They are certainly more of an expert invertabrate for expeienced reefers with mature tanks.  This doesn't mean you can't have success, it does mean that the risk is much, much greater.  You don't want to deal with a dead anenome in a new tank thay is for sure.

It may take several days for it to fully replace your tank water for the water you bought it in and if not what it likes/needs, can perish very quickly.

HTH