Anemone's- share what you have learned: Updated

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by alpha_03, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

What I have learned over the years: anemone's:

NEVER buy ANY anemone's if your tank is not fully cycled (6 mos. min) and make sure your lighting is adequate (very important).

Never buy "fresh" anemone's- that is, new arrivals at the LFS. Wait at least a week- discuss this with the LFS.

Always look at coloration- know what you are buying before you buy.

IF you buy, inspect it's foot, and it's tissue- carefully, (BEFORE YOU TAKE IT HOME)- damage can be bad.

IF an anemone is a host- buy what is hosting it too- this helps with acclimation and provides a "security blanket" for your new friends.

Water quality is very important- it needs not be perfect-, but rather- STABLE, (given good quality from the onset) water stability is the key, perhaps, test the tank from which your critter came from and compare your tanks water to this. This means your tank is no less then 6 mos. old. The more established the better.

SLOW DRIP ACCLIMATION- IMHO a must for critters you buy locally, however, if you buy online be sure to use an additive to the acclimation water to prevent ammonia build up and wild ph swings. There are numerous additives available- use what is preferable for the critters you are acclimating- READ the directions of the prospective additive you are going to use before you add it to your water. The key here is to prevent ammonia build up.

Anemones are tough critters- they can stay partially out of the water for quite some time, however, this doesnt mean the one your adding should be out of the water- the less stress the better. If you look at all the reefs down under- these guys have a tough life, hence the reason nature allows them to move, which leads to the next suggestion, make sure you have room for these guys, some can grow quite large and they will move arround until they find that sweet spot in the aqua space you provide them.

Very important- let anemone's move arround, dont touch them if at all possible, you can damage their foot and or their tissue in doing so. Due to Anemone's being a "mobile" critter, you may have to "remodel" your tank at some point, keep this in mind.

Not all clown fish will accept an anemone- so expect this.

Here is an excellecnt source of information: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/CnidIndex2.htm

Feel free to add in your experiences.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Great info! Thanks for sharing Alpha

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Nice writeup!

I hope a few people make the right decision and delay or cancel their plans to get a nem' when they read this!!!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Do not feed anemones too often and a smaller piece is better than a bigger piece.

Know the specific name of the anemone before you buy it.

Change out your bulbs on a routine schedule to facilitate the best lighting for anemone.

Do not buy an anemone for the sole purpose of hosting a clownfish.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Good info, but your spelling is wrong for anemones. Unless a reader knows what you mean, they will think you are talking about something else.

i think a slow drip acclimation is bad depending on if the anemone was shipped to you or has been in the LFS bag for a short time.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

In all honesty, I opened this thread wondering what anens are! I mean, there's tons of things I've never heard of and all that.

Good info for a thread.

There are some anemones that are not so delicate. I have 3 that have spent the first 8-10 months of their captivity with wal-mart lights (inherited tank), lived through 2 cycles (theirs and mine), then went through the turmoil of my being a noob and I've had them for over 2 years after that.

Like I said, good info, but it grates me to say any/all. Just the vast majority.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I thought anen was his name!

But nice write though with good info,thanks for sharing!

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry about the spelling I have corrected it- I never spell check- my bad. If the mods would be willing to correct the title that would be fine as I can not- it wont let me. After a while you get used to the lingo salties use.

As for slow drip- technically you should quarentine ALL new critters and then slow drip them, this, before you place them into your system. I dont always do this, but it is a better way to do things (esp. for anen's and star fish). I have never lost a single critter using the slow drip method. I would rather not take any chances, my money is hard earned.

As for feeding, very true, less is usually better- be careful when feeding anen's, they will close up and if they are hosting fish, the fish that are hosting them can actually damage them because of this feeding reaction- anen's for the most part are better light feeders (known as zooxanthellae and/or zoochlorellae) this internal bacteria help to feed the anen (this is why hi power lighting is so important). But a good solid meal a few times a month is very good for them.

BTW, this is a very good link to learn more about these very very cool critters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anemone

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just go back to the first post, hit edit, then hit the "go advanced" button. You can change it on that page.

12. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

This was on the last replies list when I thought I would open it up to read about ACAN's. Maybe the misspelling is a good thing. Some know it's supposed to be Anem, others think its Acans and some others want to know all about a new species they never heard of called Anen.

A Condy is NOT a good host anemone.

Be prepared. A fish that was in your tank when you went to bed may not be there when you wake up. Happened to my banggai cardinal