anemone?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by armison89, Jul 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

If you must get a bta. It's best for you to get better lights. I warn you though it will probably brown out so don't buy an expensive rose or green one. I have kept them living in a small pc tank but they are right. They didn't thrive. And notice I say "they" (kept dying). They just don't thrive IMO.

2. Click Here!

3. elliottrobert66

elliottrobert66 Astrea Snail

clowns will also host some corals such as elegance coral beautiful too and some r not as hard to keep imo low budget builds better off without anemonies

4. elliottrobert66

elliottrobert66 Astrea Snail

ihad false percula host vollyball size green star polyps by day and was awesome until he jumped out of tank:

5. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

I think u guys mean condy. As in condylactis gigantea

6. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

+1 on that

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

bta or rbta IMO. watts per gallon isn't a very good rule.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I find LTA and BTA to both be good "starter" nems...biggest difference IMO is that BTA's typically prefer to place their foot in a hole or crevice in the rockwork, while LTA's are sand dwelling and like to bury their foot in the sand. I find both to be about as likely to be a host for most sp. of clown. I also agree PC's do not have enough PAR for long term health of any photosynthetic nem...and certainly do not try and put a carpet in a 29g tank...not only do they grow very large but they require light and flow that you will likely not be able to provide in that small of a tank.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

since you wrote it twice. Clowns dont Host, The corals or anemone host the clowns.

Also just because you have clownfish doesnt mean that they will take the nem neccesarilly. Rather than asking what type of nem you can keep? You should be listing what type of clowns you have because certain species prefer certain types of nems.

Clarkiis and Maroons i find are hosted by nems the most. Ive tried with percs and ocs and failed both times. Ive also heard depending on if they are wild caught or not will affect their ability to host.

Thank you dboshibby, thats funny

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

lol you did it too.

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

without proper lighting the bta anemone or any other will not keep his color nor will the bta keep his bubble tips, feeding alone is not substantial to keep these coral, current, water quality, lighting, feeding all play a role in keeping these coral for any length of time, that makes it worthwhile, thousands of these creatures are killed by reefers every year, who believe they can be kept without these essential parameters, that being said, we are not going to be able to keep these animals if we don't try so, lets try to do it by all means necessary, that we are sure of, to give them the best possible chance to survive. for me to say 2 watts is enough to keep this creature alive in a 29g long term would be wrong. it will die a slow death.