Anemone vis-a-vis Lighting Requirements

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SAW39, Jan 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Synopsis: I have a basic 45 gallon FOWLR, with the exception of a fist-sized anemone. Current lighting is one 18-inch, 15-watt "Plant and Aquarium" fluorescent bulb. I'm planning on upgrading my lighting, and have pretty much decided on a 20 or 24 inch long compact fluorescent system -- 80 to 120 watts. The tank is 18 inches deep, surface to sand.

I've read discussions here at 3Reef saying anemones need more lighting than a compact can provide -- going so far as to recommend to a member that she get rid of her anemone or upgrade her lighting. However, a recent post suggests that the lighting requirements for anemones aren't that stringent.

By the way, I got the anemone in early October, and he started turning pale and listless in early November, when I joined 3Reef. After reading some of the discussion threads, I took a $15 halogen desk lamp and aimed it at the corner of the tank for 8 hours a day (a sunbeam hits that same corner for about 1/2 hour each day). Now his color is back and he's growing.

So, should I stick with my idea of compact fluorescents, go for something else, or leave things the way they are?

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

1 person likes this.
  4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks, Covey. I had seen that ad a few weeks ago, but then couldn't find it when comparing prices and specs.

But, here's the bigger question: Do anemones need high-output lighting? Are their needs similar to that of corals? SPS or LPS? Or, lower than either?

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

First off what kind of anemone? Different speices different lighting needs. Heck aptasia will grow in the dark if you feed them enough and the their anemones. That would probaby be true of most though. If there feed enough you could probably, maybe keep them in lower light but you really can't do much NO lights.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Sorry Duh. your sig. Heteractis needs high output lighting. Malu is a shallow water lagoonally anemone and does need brighter lighting. I would suggest the T-5s

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  7. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yep

Karma to Covey. As usual, he is dead nuts on.
    Anemones are not sentient creatures. Therefore, their needs are strictly hereditary. They cannot "learn." They must be provided with their "window" of basic needs.
    The previous posts on lower light was directed at BTA's I believe. BTA's are found often on the sides of rocks where direct lighting for long daylight periods is lacking.
    There is much misinformation out there about anemones. Most of course is not malicious, but the result is the same. Claims like "Anemones get approximately 80% of their nutrition from photosynthetic processes" are simple generalizations that cannot be correct. Much depends on their natural environment and Covey appears to be correct about shallow waters and H. Malu. Still, IMO, feed them almost as much as they will eat, and I don't think you can go wrong. A good appetite is an indication of health in all animals, no?
    If they do not like your better lighting, they will seek a darker place.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Big Wally B, thanks for your input. I understand what you are saying about gross generalizations. What I believe you're saying is "It depends."

To show you why I'm asking the question, here's some example posts from WetWebMedia:

Since I do not have corals I do not have fancy lighting; there are only three 15 watt fluorescent tubes, one of which is actinic blue. Do you think that's enough light to have an anemone?
    <I am sorry to say, you are not even close, more like 220 watts for a 55.>

and
    ...There are three retrofit kits under the canopy with 35" light strips as follows: 3 96W 10K white, 2 96W 7100 actinic and a 96W 6100 white (all intended for future reef).
    <wow... this light scheme is not even remotely adequate to keep a ritteri anemone

and some posts from 3Reef forums:
    The carpet and the long tentacle will eventually die. To keep a carpet you need MH or VHO.
    and
    I'm afraid that 4.8 watts per gallon of normal output (NO) light will not be enough to sustain an anemone.

As you can see, these opinions are that anemones have lighting requirements as great as the most demanding coral.
    I don't buy it. I agree that anemones need some lighting (more than a single 15 watt bulb) but I don't agree that they need Metal Halides or need 220 watt lights on a 45 gallon aquarium.

Anyone else like to share their thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

OK. I've had a couple of days to get off of my rant...
    It looks like I've scared off all other potential commentors!

Covey, I'm going to take your advice and upgrade my lighting to the T-5 setup you recommended. I got some birthday money, the bills are paid up, so I can justify the expense!

Thanks, Covey and Big Wally B!

11. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Covey covered it

No need for further comment.
    Probably best to get the light. Can't really go wrong.
    Symbiosis is fascinating and anemones are great inverts.
    Good luck.

12. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i disagree i have 2 anemones 1 carpet and 1 lta my lighting is 6 65 watt pc on my 75 gal and my anemones are huge. ive had no problems with them at all with that lighting. ive had them and that lighting for 1 1/2 years now. but i do give them a small piece of fresh shrimp once or twice a month when i remember to.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006