anemone trying to escape

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Wiggles, Jan 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wiggles

Wiggles Astrea Snail

When I purchased my anemone about a week ago I placed it at the bottom of the tank in the back. A week later it has climbed the wall, which is over 2 feet high, to right below the surface. Has anyone ever had one climb completely out of the water?

2. Click Here!

3. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds to me like it is looking for more light or more flow. Mine did that too until I added more flow and then he went back to the bottom corner. Try adding a little more flow to the area you want him in.

4. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

Pretty sure it could be a light issue or trying to eat off top of water becauee its not getting enough food. I had one that did this along time ago.. it eventually shrunk and died staying on the top part of my tank..

5. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

No, but I think it's safe to say that its not happy. What kind of nem RBTA, GBTA, LTA...? Have you checked your water params? How big is your tank? How much flow is it getting? From personal experienced they like random and chaotic flow over them that's just me. If you can peel it off the wall, move it to a crevice, and turn off your pump for a while until it holds on to the rock. I'm sure others will chime in their experience with them:)

6. Wiggles

Wiggles Astrea Snail

Its a white condi. I've got a 100 gal tank. I have fed it a small chunk of food every other day. At one point it climbed right on top of my korlia wavemaker. The lighting should be suffice, I have a two HO fluorescents and a new 1:1 W/B LED.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

you can't really put a nem where you want it, its going to go where it wants. how ever in your case I'd agree witht the first post, its looking for more light and flow, what type of lighting are you running? if your tank is 2 feet deep I hope you have halides or LED if you want to keep a nem, as they will feed photosynthetically if given the chance. if you are running only t5s odds are not enough light is reaching the bottom to keep it happy