Anemone travel problems

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by chalmies19832002, Jan 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chalmies19832002

chalmies19832002 Flamingo Tongue

I have a LT that I have had for about 7 months and he has always stayed in the same spot, out of the blue he moved to behind the LR. How can I bring him back out to the front of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

he'll come out when he's ready. Anemone's generally move when they feel like it or if something irritates them.

4. chalmies19832002

So do you think that it will return to the same spot he was cause that spot rocked.

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Aim a powerhead at him to make him upset and he should move.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

well honestly.....it'll come out but, he'll probably pick a new spot.

7. chalmies19832002

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Mine hasn't moved in about 9 months and yesterday it moved a few inches from it's favorite spot on the rock, woke up this morning and it's back to where it's been for 9 months. I gave it some brine shrimp to reward it for going back, and maybe it will stay put.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

My BTA prefers to crawl down next to the glass and stay there, attached to the rock. I don't exactly want him there, but that's where he goes - they're living creatures and pretty much do what they want. I've moved the rock, changed the flow, etc, but always moves back.

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Let it stay where it wants to. If there is a specific reason for wanting him to move, like removing the rock for cleaning, that's one thing. If moving him for aesthetics only, I would not do so. Anemones are very delicate and easily stressed. There could be a concentration of dissolved organics in that area he was at and no longer wants to tolerate it. Forcing it back will only upset it. Think if someone forced you to stay in a garage with a running car with no ventilation, you would not be a happy camper. The same situation may be true here. We all tend to forget they are living creatures too, we should step in their shoes before disturbing their homes.

12. chalmies19832002

Even if I cannot see him and his two clowns that love him so very much dont go back into the dark abbyss which is the back of the tank.