Anemone Split? Why?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by kcbrad, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My anemone split! What does this mean?

I feed him about every other day and he hasn't moved since he was added almost 3 weeks ago and has opened up fully every day.

Is this good or bad?

The other half that split off when half way under the rock. Annoying. :p

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Not uncommon and really not a concern just yet.

I would not feed every other day though, once a week to every other week is fine.

Anemones are simple animals with a slow digestive process, feeding too much might lead to food sitting in the gut and turning into a bacterial infection which is deadly.

4. NITTINID

NITTINID Astrea Snail

This could be bad and good...it could be stressed out and split to assure the survival of its species...or it could be that your water is great and if felt the need to reproduce...there's no way anyone can really tell....either way...now you got 2!!!! :) just keep a close eye on them....if one does die...remove it quickly!!! A dead condy will create a major ammonia spike!!! F.Y.I anenomes that are white...usually are bleaching out(stressed)...their natural color is a tan color...

90 GALLON DISPLAY
    IN DISPLAY TANK;

180 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK
    95 LBS LIVE SAND
    (2) 50 GPH POWERHEADS(CARBON STUFFED)
    (2) 1300 GPH POWER HEADS

LIGHTING IN DISPLAY;
    T5 NOVAS 48 INCH(6 BULB FIXTURES)
    48 INCH MARINLAND L.E.D REEF LIGHTING(18K)
    48 INCH (24) BLUE LED MOONLIGHT

30 GALLON SUMP
    IN SUMP;
    40 LBS LIVE SAND
    15 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK.
    35 LBS REFUGIUM RUBBLE
    PHOSBAN REACTOR(150)
    10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY
    CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(120)
    (ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER
    (10)MANGROVES

LIGHTING ;
    IN SUMP
    30-90 WATT FLOOD LAMP

FISH
    SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG,BLUE HIPPO TANG,DIAMOND WATCHMAN GOBY,SIZZORTAIL GOBY,BLUE DAMSEL(6) BLUE GREEN CHROMIS(4)ENGINEER GOBY

CORALS AND INVERTS
    BLUE RICORDEA,SEBAE ANENOME,DUNCAN POLYPS,BROWN BUTTON POLYPS,RED AND PURPLE MUSHROOMS COLONY(6) SKUNK SHRIMP (3) CAMEL SHRIMP(6)PEPPERMINT SHRIMP(8)MEXICAN TURBO SNAILS,(6)CERITH SNAILS,(4)ZEBRA SNAILS(5)RED LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,(5) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,

IN SUMP;
    (2)GREEN EMERALD CRABS
    (5) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS
    (5) RED LEGGED HEMIT CRABS

TO tHoSe WhO rOcK...WiTh A fiLTeR sOcK.....
    >>>>>>> I SOLUTE YOU <<<<<<<<

1 person likes this.
  5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

you have 3 tangs in a 90?? and one is a sailfin? you know thats too many right? the sailfin alone with get well over 1 foot.. :eek:

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It was a huge nem if i recall correctly, I'm figuring mine to split any day too due to its size. They do that.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ok, I won't feed as much. The person I bought him from was feeding him every other day, so I didn't want him to go hungry.

He was like 8-9 inches across. Maybe he's just really happy. I hope so!

Water is super good, he has ample light....hasn't lost any color.

I figure if he split because he's unhappy/for survival, wouldn't the original nem have shown signs of stress before splitting? Or no?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Half the BTA I have had in the past split within the first month after introduction to a new tank and I never lost one.

Personally I think it's a reaction to changes in water chemistry between different tanks, it signals a change and the anemones splits whether for self preservation I am not sure, but changing tanks seems to be a catalyst.

2 people like this.
  10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, I'll keep my eye on him. I'm so nervous! I was quite alarmed when I came down this morning and my nem was in two! I didn't know they could split that fast. Also makes me nervous the other half was wandering around the tank, but it didn't go too far. Hopefully it will stay put even though I can't see it that well.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sooo the mother anemone got really shriveled over the course of the day...and moved around over night.

Bad sign? Or is this normal after splitting? I assume splitting is quite taxing on them and maybe they need some time to recover?

I'm starting to get anemone grey hairs! The first 3 weeks were so easy I thought it would be smooth sailing...

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

no experience with them, so I won't chime in. But I am going to tease you on that line :p:p:p