anemone question

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by dv123, May 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dv123

dv123 Astrea Snail

i have a new bulb anemone. its alright while the lights are off , but a few hours after i turn the lights on it kind of shrivels up. maybe too much light? 2 250w halides on 55 gallon tank. nem is about18-20 inches down. params all good tank been goin for over a year. also possible gold bar maroon too rough with it? any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Expanding/shriveling is normal for anemone's during light cycles. They tend to spread and get larger in lower light. This is most likely what is going on.

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

For most species, if the anemone really doesn't like the light, he'll move to a more shaded area of the tank

5. dv123

dv123 Astrea Snail

but the tentacles will deflate as well? i know with higher light they dont open up as much, but the tentacles were deflated and it looked sad

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Keep an eye on the coloring. My anemone bleached out about 30% due to strong lighting. He moved down the tank a bit and has recovered quite a bit, but I've been trying to get it to move towards my T5 side of the tank to get the color to shift to a brighter green, with light indirect water flow, but he won't move, he's very stubborn.

7. Lady_Bobo

Lady_Bobo Fire Worm

8. Click Here!

9. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Firstly, anemones are inverts, and not coral. (yeah i know- im always an @$$ for pointing stuff out like this- but thats my job)
    With that out of the way- what type of tank did this anemone come from, and what was the lighting situation like in that tank? Sudden increases/decreases in lighting may be the cause of this.