Anemone in filter

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ibjellyfish, Jan 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

I just came home and found my anemone in the filter. I cant grab him, al4ready tried. Is this bad? Is it going to kill him or anything? Im just worried. He has been moving around a lot today and hen I found him in here and now I dont know what to do. Im about to do a water change, do you think that'll make him come back? There is no light in the filter either, so I dont know why e is back there. Help?

2. Click Here!

3. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

what kind of a filter is it? as long has it didnt get hurt going in, it will be alrite and, youll have to get it out of there. you dont want it dying in there a poisoning your tank

4. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

its a biocube, so I cant take it apart. How do I get him out of there?

5. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

wooh, we got him out. Why did my anemone go back into my filter? He has to come completely out of the water to do that, is that okay?

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What are your params? How old is the tank? Is it the stock BioCube lights? What type of anemone?
    Anemone's move when they are not happy with where they are

7. ibjellyfish

ibjellyfish Astrea Snail

I get my water tested at the fish store, and every time I bring it in, its just dandy. The only thing that has gone down recently (actually up) is the salt. i had to much salt, but ive added RO fresh water< and brought it back down. But now, the tank is fine, and he started moving around, just today. Do you think having less salt in the water is pissing him off? It was too high, so I would think he would like the fresh water. i also did a salt water change today, took out about 25%. The tank is almost a year old and yes, it has the lights it came with (though, we have replaced them with new ones). Also, its a bubble tip, and we have had it for a couple months.

8. Click Here!

9. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

The sudden change in in the salt level when you reduced it could have been the reason.

Anemones are strange animals. I recently had some strange behavior from my Sebae. I think the flash in my camera did it :confused:

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I agree, the quick salinity change could have frustrated it. Also you should get your own test kit and test the water at home. Water should be tested at the tank, not at the lfs, there are too many variables for error.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If an anemone gets stuck/sucked up in the intake plumbing, it is best to shut off the pump and leave the anemone...it should eventually work itself out as mine has done in the past! This reduces stress on the animal as well as reduces the likelihood of you injuring it more.
    Water change will help as will the addition of carbon!
    Closely monitor your water parameters, other livestock and anemone!
    Good luck! That was close

12. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...