Anemone ID?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Katie Grant, Sep 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

I still have a newer tank, and he was a hitch hiker on my main centerpiece rock, I couldnt pass up the great deal, Just dont want something to happen to him where it hurts my tank. I mean hes doing awesome, and looks better than ever... but im real worried that since my tanks not that old hes gotta go:-/

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

hmm interesting hitch-hiker, you usually have to pay for condy.

Well if the tank is still cycling you can just watch the ammonia levels and do a water change if you see detectable ammonia (soft cycle). You can try some Microbacter7 or similar product to assist in establishing beneficial bacteria. You can remove it.

Condy are pretty hardy and it may very well do just fine, but you will only be able to judge that based on your parameters and the appearance of the anemone.

If it moves a lot or detaches then yes I would remove it.

4. Katie Grant

I bought the rock from a person taking down their tank in my area, Not a LFS " so guess not technically a hitch hiker" but the previous owner couldnt get him off

My tank has already cycled, but is only a month old

I mean if i could keep it, with out him hurting anything in the tank, then i will, and hes looked real healthy the entire time hes been in there, hasnt moved, or botherd anything... yet

5. Katie Grant

So maybe if i moved the powerhead back off of it (looks like im going to blow it to smithereens right now) and just keep an eye on it and my params, i should be OK?

6. Corailline

If you do not have a lot of other corals yet, I would give it a go. Honestly they are very hardy anemones, I would not be the least bit surprised if it does fine. Not ever clownfish will reside in one though. Condy have a potent sting, more so than most other commonly available anemones so there is that. Clarki and Maroons seem do have no problem but that is a generalization.

Good Luck.

7. Katie Grant

Ive got a couple mushrooms, and a zoa frag (2 heads) so looks like ill give it a go and try it out... this thing cant like blow up and turn my tank black right? haha

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Nope, it will either fail to open, detach and float around or have a huge gaping oral opening. Your biggest threat at this point is it walking into a power head or over flow. If it stays in the same place and looks similar I would not worry, but if you are unsure or uneasy it might be best to find another home.

10. Katie Grant

Oh it deff does not fail to open, and i dont think that thing is going anywhere anytime soon, but thanks! I think I can handle it, and give it a try, you just hear so many horror stories with nems. Ill just be sure to keep an extra eye on it, and keep up on my testing to detect any early signs. thank you!

1 person likes this.
  11. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Any luck yet with the stubern Nem..??

12. Katie Grant

no luck yet, just rubbing in my face how happy he looks there and how he doesnt plan on moving lol